MMA Will boxing mess up my muay thai?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by 4bangin, Sep 19, 2009.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I was into Muay Thai seriously for about 2 years solid. Then a train of injuries came rolling through preventing me from training hardly ever. I'm mostly fine now except for my right shin. I'm dying to get back in, so thinking about taking boxing classes just so that I can take part in something. Would this not be a good idea considering I am really only interested in MT. I understand the I really want to improve my handspeed, but I don't want to get into any bad habits with guard/stance etc that might differ between boxing and MT. What do you think?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I think you'll be fine. Usually boxing stances are more bladed which makes it easier to protect your head and body, gives you a faster jab and harder cross. But I think if you know you're gonna be checking leg kicks you're gonna square up a bit naturally.

My stance in MT is pretty much the same as it was in boxing. I square up a bit more to check the kick and throw my rear roundhouse. I don't think I'll ever be able to get any real power out of my lead leg so I'm not worried about trading my front roundhouse for a better jab, cross, and defense.

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

It can only help, when you get back into MT, you will adjust.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

5. teep

teep New Member

it won't hurt it, but i've been just boxing for a couple months now and i'm not sure how much it will help. everything is just so different anything you improve on doesn't necessarily transfer.

there's nothing wrong with cross training, but if getting better at muay thai is your only concern then just stick to muay thai.

plus you can always just keep to your stance and just work on your hands.

6. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Cool, thanks guys.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Even if you do learn bad habits the good habits with your hands will outweigh them.

8. k1d.

k1d. New Member

go for it.
    imma do boxing for about 3 months after my triathlon.. then brining it all back with me for the new year when i start MT again.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I can say that many times some of our crappier MT guys will start boxing on the side and their improvements are drastic.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member