Will be inheriting a G4 tower...how to upgrade??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Weazy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

So I should be inheriting a g4 tower sometime soon. I'm curious as to what it takes to upgrade this thing to make it far better than it is.
    I'm not exactly sure what's in it now, but I bet it's less than 500mb of ram and a smallish hard drive.

I have a G5 here at work with dual 2.3ghz processors and 1gb of ram but I like this machine alot.

What does it take to get the G4 to this capability. How difficult is it to replace the parts I would need to? Where do I go to buy these parts? Ebay?

2. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

the g4 will never compare to your dual g5

max out the ram, get a fast hard drive/raid setup

what kind of work are you going to be doing on the g4?

4. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

Make a fun project with the G4 tower. My G4 tower was replaced with my current iBook G4. Last summer i took my old G4 Tower and upgraded the video card, processor, and RAM then my brother bought it as a HD DVR/couch web browser.

5. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Upgrade it to the trash can and buy a G5. No MAC get's more valuable with time......... letting a tired relic eat at your wallet is like marrying Anna Nicole in her permanently fat stage.

6. fishyhell

they are still decent computers and perform the basic computing tasks equally well as most computers today. Not worth tossing, even if you don't change out parts still make it do something usefull around the house. You'd be surprised where you find you would like a computer.

7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I'm on a 17" G4 PB. It does a hell of a job and will outlast every battery of every MBP that will ever be made. I need nothing more than this. (but that doesn't stop me from wanting more ;))

Yet still if something goes and I have to work on it (more likely I'll hit the pick 5 lotto than this will ever fail on me) I would not put a damn dime into it.

I paid $1500 1.5 yr ago because it was in the original box in mint condition (still is) with a gig of ram. It was a lofty investment for outgoing technology, but it's what I wanted to spend dollar wise.

Now, is it outdated? Yep. It is worth upgrading further (to a 100 gig HD)? Not to me, no. If the HD dies I'll buy a new MAC before I sink more money into it because shortly after I bought the 17" PB the macbooks came out and the resale on the PB went through the floor and I got screwed on my purchase if I intend to resell it ever. Now it is only worth $1500 to ME.

It's a great MAC. The flagship model just 3 yrs ago, so it doesn't suck. It's BULLETPROOF, and so is it's battery. It has NEVER failed, had to reboot, had a conflict, had ANY problem ever. It has ran dead perfect since the day I bought it. I enjoy it more than any computer I have ever had and I'm 30 yrs old, not 19, 20, 22 .....so I have had a lot of damn computers. It has been used every day for over a solid year and still charges to 99% at a minimum and occasionally 100%. It doesn't have a single scratch and the hinges are tight. It's the epitome of the ideal 17" PB flagship.

It is the best and most bullet proof computer I have ever owned, but it's still just a g4 with a stunningly lower resale now than last year thanks to the new mac's. I won't sink a damn dime into it, but I am well aware of how good it is.

I just don't believe in dropping change into relics.

8. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

<----dual 867 g4 still going strong.

9. fishyhell

1.2 G4 iBook with no need to replace.

10. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

11. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

Not sure where I said anywhere about resale value and such. I don't care what it's worth, I'm getting it for free. I'm looking on spending a few bucks to make it a little better than it is. I can spend a few bucks now or I can spend 2 grand or whatever on a G5.
    If I need anything that good, I'll work on my G5 at work. The G4 is not going to be my work horse by any means. I may do basic designing with it (photoshop/Illustrator/In-Design/Quark) but mainly use it for typical music housing and just an all around screw around on the web computer. Need it to run a few programs at one time without dropping dead on me like the PC I have at home now does.

And speaking about upgrading...you may want to upgrade your sub and buy an Av ;) although I did find your text humorous

Thanks for the help guys

12. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

Use it as a music/file server or something. Plus the intraweb!