Will any cell provider not screw me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Error, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

Just curious. I know people that have just about all of them, and they all get fucked. Why?

2. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

what exactly do you mean by getting fucked? Most problems can be dealt with unless its your fault.

3. Detective John Kimbl

Detective John Kimbl New Member

ususally its an ID10t error

4. Error

Well, I had one 4 years ago, and Alltel refused to cancel my service even after my contract was up. I had to fight to get it shut off, then they billed me 4 more months and tried to collect on it. My credit was ruined for 2 years before a lawyer stepped in. Also, there were calls made out of state while I was here, that they tried to charge me for. Customer service physically yelled at me and hung up on me.

My sister has Verizon, they sold her a plan with x-minutes and nights & weekends. When her $300 bill came in, it had her on a different plan with many less minutes and no free nights or weekends. They are refusing to work with her on it, and it's pay-or-be-fucked for her.

Another friend has Sprint and bought the "unlimited text messaging" plan. They said it was effective immediately. His bill that month included $500 worth of text messaging. He called customer service, they cut off his phone and kept sending him bills.

Friend of mine has T-Mobile and got the "no roaming anywhere in Florida" plan. NEVER leaves Florida. Bill included $200 in roaming fees!!! They told him tough shit and his phone got disconnected, meanwhile, they continued to bill him.

Co-worker bought a Nextel plan with low minutes but UNLIMITED two-way. He ONLY used the two-way, and used it a lot. They charged him $200 in two-way usage, and had him listed on another plan. They told him he was screwed, and wouldn't take back the charges.

And this is why I do not have a cell phone.

5. Detective John Kimbl

Detective John Kimbl New Member

most of that stuff is in the fine print....that shit about "unlimited" you have to look at the fine print cause i know with sprint if you have more then 50% of your minutes roaming they charge you..ehnce therfore no roaming i dont know how everyone else does that

6. Error

I just asked, and all of them were on some kinda of no-roaming plan, and none of these people travel.

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I've been with AT&T wireless for going on nine years and I've never been screwed. In fact, they've replaced a phone that was going on a year old with no questions asked (lcd display was going out). They've let me do a retroactive upgrade on my calling plan twice after I went over my minutes in a big way a couple of times (saving me a couple hundred dollars in both cases). The only thing close to an issue I had was when I had my guy at the AT&T store upgrade me to unlimited data before it was actually available for non-business accounts and i got a surprise bill the next month, but that too was taken care of.

i would almost be willing to bet money that the vast majority of people who complain about shitty service are those who either talk down, yell at or talk like they're from the ghetto when they call customer service people.

i find that speaking proper english, not sounding angry, but instead remaining calm and presenting my issue as a problem i need help resolving goes a LONG way toward ending in a satisfactory resolution.

i have my mom to thank for this discovery as she has always been one of those people who yells and makes a big scene anytime she's dealing with a customer service type person...and she would occasionally get stuff resolved the way she wanted, but never as quickly as things are usually taken care of with the polite and patient approach.

8. turbodeuce

It sounds like you're exaggerating those stories a lot. I really don't see how a company would refuse to cancel your phone. They might try to get you to stay, but not refuse to cancel. With your sister and your coworker, I find it unbelievable that they were unwilling to work with them. When you sign up, you should get some collateral telling you exactly what you have. It is the consumer's responsibility to know what their limits are and if they go over its there fault.

First for your sister, sales people get paid commission obviously. There is no benefit to putting someone on a lower rate plan so they purposely go over their minutes. Even if it was by mistake, it is changeable and extra charges can be credited.

For your friend in Florida, the only way he would have had roaming charges if he was on another carrier's network. Its possible that he was roaming the entire month and the idiot didn't know it. On T-Mobile's website it says "Call from the T-Mobile coverage area in the region to anywhere within this region and pay no digital roaming charges or domestic long distance." If your'e not in tmobile's coverage area (this does not mean where it shows on the map) you will get roaming charges. This is your friend's fault.

Lets say your friend requested the unlimited text plan but it was not put on by mistake (again its commissionable, it's not something the sales person will forget about), $.10/text message... $500/$.10 = 5000 text messages a month? yea right ok.

Anyway, if you're going to get a cell phone go in and be coo with the sales person. If you're friendly and not an asshole, they will help you when you come back with problems. Know what you have and what you can do, that's your responsiblity. If you do have problems, don't act like a psycho when you go into the store. I don't give a shit who's fault it is if you're acting like a psycho. I work for att btw, and will go out of my way to help ppl as long as they are coo with me. A lot of ppl come in and think acting like a fucking ass and threatening me is going to get them anywhere. The only time threatening works is when you're on the phone with customer care to cancel, they might give you some extra minutes. But besides that treat ppl like ppl and you can get help when you need it.

9. turbodeuce

exactly.
    btw, we do notate account all the time. And you can be damn sure that when some asshole comes in to yell at me, there are detailed notes on the account for the next person to read that tries to help htem.

10. Error

That's just the thing, I was very humble and polite with Alltel in all of my dealings with them (I'm a government professional, so I have to be at all times). My sister is the same as me, very professional and courteous.

As for the T-Mobile guy, he made most, if not all, of his calls from his house, which is within a mile of the T-Mobile store he bought his phone at. Tell me that makes sense?

And the text-message person is also very courteous in his dealings. He's one of those people that couldn't get irrate if you paid him to.

It just seems like they all have a tendency to screw with customers. I know some people who work customer service, and they're embarrassed by what they have to do to people.

Personally, I'm going back to HAM radio and an autopatch panel hooked to my house line.

11. HanMan

HanMan New Member

T mobile has been great for the past 3 years. They dont give you anything more than they promise but ive yet to be screwed by them too

12. Fish1856

Fish1856 New Member

I haven't had any problems with Verizon. Coverage is excellent, phone selection is mediocre, but if there's a problem, they fix it (had a minor issue with a txt messaging plan, which was fixed with one phone call).

13. skooter

skooter Guest

i have been with sprint for over 4 years, and they have never screwed me or any of my friends. i remember back in the day everyone use to be against sprint, but that is before they got their PCS service up and running, every since then i have never had a problem with them, i user over 1200 mins a month, i have had only one dropped call in the last year and that was because i was in a elevator. i did have an issue with text messaging once, i called, they were very friendly, the person who answered was someone i could understand and they understood me, helped me out and haven’t had a problem since. also the voice quality is far superior to any other provider i have used, and they have the best phones in my opinion.

14. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i work in an att call center too. if you are polite and respectful, and can present a reasonable case as to why you dont think charges are valid, we can most likely work somthing out. it may not be a full refund, but maybe something to ease the bill.