GUN Will 900mAh 3.0V CR123s drive 3.6V Cree drop ins?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I'm buying from battery junction and am thinking about a couple of drop ins I want to use with existing rechargable 3.0V 123s I have.

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Most rechargeable 123's are actually 3.7v while the Lithium primary 123's (non-rechargeable) are 3v.

Edit - if you already have the rechargeable 123's and they specifically say 3v then they may have been made specifically for things like surefire lamps which can not handle 3.7v; in which case they might run the LED, but it will be underpowered if it is made to run at the higher voltage.

3. Thunderbear

4. Thunderbear

Fuck, now I'm confused.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the cell will be around 3 - 3.2V, but still underdriving the 3.6V lamp. So the full lumen rating won't be achieved with 3.0 cells.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Sounds right to me so long as you are running on a single battery like in an E1E. If you are running two cells or more (non parallel) the combined voltage should be enough to power the lamp. Of course regular rechargeable Li-Ion's at 3.6v would probably be more efficient since they wont have to be regulated by both the battery and lamp and they run at the higher voltage with greater ampere-hours. So it all kind of depends, what flashlight are you upgrading and how important is run-time?

6. Thunderbear

Well, I have one single cell that I use every day, and another single cell as backup. The plan was to get more of the 3Vs, since I already have the charger, and use a Cree drop in for the SureFire 618FA and another Cree multi mode drop in for the G2 on the AR, and just purchase some more rechargeable 3Vs for them.

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Yeah, it looks like the batteries you have would significantly under-power the single cell lights with a 3.6v drop in. Depending on the flashlights you are upgrading there may be some 3v capable drop in lamps, I know that LumensFactory makes some in the SureFire E style (not LED though) and the D26 style (multimode even,) but you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in output with those. The 618 and G2 should run the drop ins just fine with your 3v batteries though. Of course if the 618 equipped shotgun was my go-to defense weapon I would be tempted to go with a pair of IMR 123's and the 500 lumen drop in from LumensFactory.