wifi device other than a laptop? suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

hey ya, i'd like to get a wifi device other than a bulky/expensive laptop (i know, i know, an ibook isn't bulky)

anyways, i'd like a device that would allow me to connect to a wifi network and let me check email, forums, maybe instant message...

i was checking out the palm TX, it's cool, except that it would kinda be a pain in the butt to not have a keyboard...i'm sure they make an add on though.

i'm wondering if there is a device that is kinda like an ibook, with keyboard, maybe smaller, that allows wifi use.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Dell has a couple of PDA's that have 802.11b built in, palm makes keyboards you can attach to their pda's, sandisk makes SDIO cards that have 64 or 128mb of memory built in and will add 802.11b to any pda that has an SDIO card slot.

3. peerk

peerk New Member

Viewsonic has some wireless displays that allow you to connect to your desktop XP PRO PC(via remote connection). I have never used one so I can't vouch for how good they are, but they look pretty cool.

You can hook a keyboard up to it. I'm not sure if you can hook up any USB keyboard up to it or just the one viewsonic sells for it. It also has an onscreen keyboard that can be used with the touch screen.

New ones are about the price of a laptop. If you shop around you can find an older model(v100/v110) for around $350.

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/mobilewireless/airpanelsmartdisplays/airpanel100/

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i kinda like the zipit instant messenger, it's cheap, but it only instant messages

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The biggest limit is the screen. Even VGA is frustration to browse the web on. Email and IM are fine with a keyboard but forget surfing the web, at least on pages not formatted for the PDA's tiny screen. I have Palm TX and its wifi is pretty slow too. Its great for wireless hotsyncing though.