Wifi antennas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sparq, Jul 20, 2006.

1. sparq

sparq New Member

Wondering if anyone here could point me to some websites for WiFi antenna information? I want info on setting up a single access point, possibly a few access points and spreading the connection over a large area (would prefer 5 mile range) -- to allow for wireless hookup, at basically any point within that area. Im looking just for fun, curious as to what it would cost to set something like this up.

Say I have 5 points of connection, top left corner, top right corner, bottom right corner, bottom left corner and middle... (think of a box, access point at each corner and 1 in the middle) ...and having access anywhere within that 5 mile box. What would I need equipment wise?

2. sparq

sparq New Member

3. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Set-up a wireless mesh network

http://www.firetide.com/

Or just google "wireless mesh"

4. easy4lif

easy4lif New Member

Yea, I got an antenna from hyperlink a couple of years ago for my Airport Extreme. that type of antenna goes really far vertically, but sucks horizontally. if you live in a one story house thats a good antenna, but if its 2 stories and your trying to reach the second floor look for somethin else.

the one I got is 5dBi and it has a reach of 75 feet. and thats with going thru a microwave, Direct tv dish, several wireless phones, & several other networks in my area

5. sparq

sparq New Member

Doesn't really help, but thanks

6. 7960

7960 New Member

5 mile range puts you in the $1000/unit arena for access points. Are you looking to spend $5000 "just for fun"?

7. sparq

sparq New Member

Im just looking at the idea right now, its not "just for fun" -- its to provide wireless access as an additional "bonus" to some people.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

5 miles is a big area. On a completely flat area with no obstructions it would take about 15 to 20 access points to properly cover it using mesh. Then you have to consider power to each area, weatherproofing, blah blah blah....... this is going to be expensive.

People keep talking about mesh..... exactly how often are people going to roam from cell to cell? If it's going to be rare (or not necessary) then a better approach (IMO) would be using high gain antennas and just shooting them as far as you can (about 1.5 miles). Put a few around the perimeter like you're talking about and one with a high gain omni in the middle like you originally said. You're still not going to get complete coverage and you're not going to be able to seamlessly roam but it'll be better than nothing.

cliffs:
    mesh = $7000 to do right
    other = $500 in APs and antennas for "good enough"

9. sparq

sparq New Member

Well they wouldnt be moving, stationary access like from inside a home. Not looking for it to be able to work for people in cars, etc.

Would there be a way to setup like 20 of these to give me decent coverage? I dont know what a 20 sided object is called and I dont want to look it up - or draw a picture.... but could I like arrange the antennas so that each antenna is pointed at a slightly different angle - for all 20? To create a "hopefully" 360 degree area from one central location? That would be around $1,000 for the antennas.....

Now what to hook everything upto? (routers?) 2 antennas per router? (So w/ 20... I would need 10 solid connections to make this work?)

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not gonna work from a central location... You'd need client antennas that can get the signal back... A standard mPCI 802.11g card gets you maybe 150ft range... You need APs spread around the coverage area.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Pretty much any kind of networking is out of my range.

But I've read about the Pringles can mic's that can pick up a signal from pretty far away.

If there was line of site, and each peripheral computer used such a mic,
    you could probably get it done for fairly cheap.