wifi adapter networking?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by netkilla, Apr 11, 2006.

1. netkilla

netkilla Guest

is it possible to run a network between 2 computers with those wifi usb network adapters they sell?

and what do I need to network 2 computers if I want to do it with a cat 6 cable? or do i need a cross over cable? ethernet hub? thanks in advance :sadwavey:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

Read about "ad-hoc" networking here (link). It is possible to connect two PCs using only wifi clients but I wouldn't.

You'd need a client card for both, and they're running about $35 so there's $70. Or, you could buy an AP for $35 and a wireless client card for $35 and still spend $70. Put one PC near the AP and plug it in wired, put the wireless client in the other PC and make that wireless.

If you use a hub you use regular cable. If you connect the two PCs directly without a hub you need a cross-over cable. Either will work.

3. netkilla

netkilla Guest

so if i have a ethernet hub I connect one computer to incoming singal part of the hub then the 2nd computer to the 1st open plug for the out going signal and I connect the other end to my computers network adapater then set it up like that?

a cross over cable would i just connect one network card to the other one via network cable?

4. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry, I didn't get a word of that. :big grin:
    Yes. It's very simple to do..see option 1.

Your choices...

1. ethernet (wired) cards in each pc, cross-over between them, put a 2nd ethernet card in the PC closest to the cable/dsl modem and turn on ICS (internet connection sharing) (link for ICS - http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics). Very fast, but the ICS pc can slow down on heavy internet use due to the drag from the other pc.

2. ethernet (wired) cards in each pc, both connect to a router (don't bother with a hub, it costs the same as a router so get a router like linksys/d-link/netgear/smc/buffalo). From dsl/cable, go to the uplink/wan port on the router, then plug the PCs into the router. They will be able to talk to each other *and* get to the internet. Very fast, only drawback is running wires. If that's easy I'd do this.

3. wireless in one pc, wired in the other. From dsl/cable, go to the uplink/wan port on the router, then plug the closer PC into the router. Get a wireless card for the other PC (PCI wireless card) and configure wireless for that one. They will be able to talk to each other *and* get to the internet. "Pretty" fast if you get 802.11g radios for the PCI card in the PC and also for the wireless router. It will be a little more than half the speed of option 2. I'd do this if running wires will be a pain in the ass, or if you plan to add another pc or laptop in the future.

IMO option 2 or 3 would be my first choice (see drawbacks for each), then 3 or 2 is next, then cross-over is third option. Ad-hoc networking isn't really worth the effort.