wife's bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AVengeance, Dec 7, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Here's the OTHER bike in the family. Mine is a '09 Kawi Ninja 250R. My wife wanted something with a more comfortable seating position, and suiting for 'round town driving, with brief highway capability.

2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125.

So... here it is.

Pics of wife (because I know you pervs would ask)? Maybe next spring... it's a little cold out right now ;)

[​IMG]
    Color theme is blue on silver.

[​IMG]
    42T PMP rear sprocket in blue hard-anodize allows highway speed, with assistance from other mods

[​IMG]
    Bastards at JCWhitney said this windscreen would fit... well, it's better than nothing.

[​IMG]
    Twin aero shields help create a better envelope for the rider, and make it possible for the bike to top out at nearly 70mph- not bad for a 125cc cruiser! Construction is .065" aluminum alloy, brush-finished and clearcoated, with blue-anodized attaching hardware.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I hate wind screens on cruisers, but since it's for the wife...

How fun is this bike compared to a scooter?

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I took MSF on a 125cc... it was comical :rofl:

But I'm sure your wife fits better on that than I did. Congrats. I wish my wife would get her own bike :hs:

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I'm not a big fan of windscreens, either, but notice the way this one goes in front of the handebar grips? It's got great coverage so a rock isn't as likely to hit her hands, arms, or chest, and freak her out. It's not quite as tall as it looks in the pics. It only comes up to just under my neck, so it's more so she isn't getting buffetted by the wind on her chest. Believe it or not, it also improves aerodynamics slightly. It's part of how I was able to get this thing to go almost 70mph. :x:

I don't like the seating position of scooters. Too "upright". They feel okay at low speeds, but make me nervous at anything above 35. That, and the tiny wheels and tires most of them have- not very road-hazard friendly. This bike feels very steady and familiar. The seating position is relaxed, but not too laid-back. Scooters also scream eco-geek. It's true we got to save gas, but it's hard to feel cool on something that screams treehugger. We burn our trash, shoot deer, and generally live a lifestyle that makes liberals curl up in the fetal position and weep.

My wife is 5' 7", so this bike doesn't feel too small to her, and she'll be the primary driver next year.

Admittedly, it was fun breaking it in and doing the mods I've got on it so far, but I can't wait to hop on the Ninja next spring. It's supposed to "wintery mix" tomorrow (as opposed to snow, which one could actually enjoy playing in and forget that the bike is put away). Oh well. The Eliminator, which she has named "Silver" (as in Lone Ranger's horse), is ready for her when spring arrives.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm 6'3" with a size 11.5 boot. I looked like a gorilla when I rode it for MSF, and my foot didn't fit between the shifter and peg.

6. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

On the Eliminator, I can see how it would make you feel like a Shriner on a midget bike. 6' 3" is a little tall to be comfortable on that.

On a similar note, I bought some riding boots, but have to push my toe down at an unnatural level to upshift on my Ninja (haven't worn them riding the Eliminator yet). I STILL can't find a boot that doesn't feel like big damn steel toed factory boots. I'm only a size 8 1/2. So, I still wear my sneakers when I ride. :hs:

7. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

I was fine with it and I have size 14 boots. I just had to move my foot way the fuck back.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

I had to take my foot off the peg to go from downshifting to upshifting. The MSF guy freaked until I showed him my foot didn't fit, then he kind of looked around and said "you pass this part, keep going" :rofl:

9. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

i came in here for pics of the wife ... :io:

10. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

you know you can adjust the shifter, right?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

Not when you're only riding it for two days

12. GammaRadiation

Oh I know they're good for aerodynamics, I just feel like they kill the fun part of riding a bike. Plus making the bike look motorcycle copish. IMO, everything else but the feel of being free and open is just uncomfortable nut numbing vibration (until you start talking about fast/agile bikes). For the wife, however, it's understandable. I can only imagine the mayhem that could ensue when hit by a full grown grasshopper at 50mph and eating pavement is the best way to make a woman hate all small, motor powered vehicles for life.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

I ride mine without a windshield when I'm around town, but it's always on when I go highway for any amount of time.

The "fun part" of riding also includes being able to relax and enjoy the ride, while not fighting 75mph wind and all the shit kicked up by cars on the highway.

14. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Indeed. Safety first, especially for her. Comfort comes in a close second. It's nice that she's even warmed up to the idea of riding at all. I want to make it easy and fun for her. The windscreen and those front aero shields I made will help a little. If she wants me to pull those things for summer riding, I'll do it. If it makes the lady happy, you know ;)

Not that she's not brave or won't take risks. We race cars and wakeboard together, too. But yea, eating pavement because of a bug splat would be game over for that, and if it's so easily preventable... why not prevent it?

And as 7k said above, "fighting 75mph wind", she doesn't have a whole lot of arm strength, so riding at 60+ for too long might wear on her a bit, since you get "pulled back" by the wind at that speed. That windscreen I put on takes care of a lot of that.

15. GammaRadiation

You wakeboard? You just went from cool to super cool.

[​IMG]

Me playing around on the Suwnanee River with a broken hand.

16. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Nice. Looks like a good location, too.

This is the only wakeboarding pic I have at work.

[​IMG]

Mississippi River, a couple years ago. That picture would be eleventy times cooler if my damn pocket liner wasn't sticking out of my shorts :hs:
    On the Muddy, it's usually smooth (for a river) in the morning, and as the sun goes up, it gets choppy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  17. GammaRadiation

Sweet. If you want good/great/utterly fantastic wakeboard spots...

Florida is the #1 location in the world for wakeboarding. #1 location in America for Cable boarding. All of our rivers are usually less than 100' wide at their widest point. Except for the St. Johns, but where it gets wide and unprotected enough to get choppy it's getting near NAS JAX and downtown jacksonville and is almost to the industrial area....so the water is nasty and there are a couple large, rusty boat wrecks. We wakebaorded by them one time just for some cool pictures (not on my camera and never got to see them FTL). Plus we have the highest concentration of lakes in the US (possibly world?) and an intercoastal that is protected enough for average Florida weather to stay like glass. If you ever take a trip to FL and are passing through Tampa in the warmer months (not Dec, Jan, Feb) you should check out a place called McCormick's Ski School (http://www.skimccormick.com/). It's a waterskier's/wakeboarder's dream. Highest cable system in the state (I dont know if you know what cable boarding is) with professional wakeboarder's operating the cable. Also, they have a boat lake for both slalom and wakeboarding with both world class coaches and professional competitors that will help you out beginner to pro. These guys will get your wife up on the cable and able to complete full laps, will help you hit a begginer slider or kicker or w/e and will also help the guy in line behind you land an S-Bend.

Here's a shot of me on the A-Frame
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v201/CBFryman/?action=view&current=DSCI0025.flv

Turn the speaker's down, the girl holding the camera forgets that she is 3" away from the microphone.

I dont know how big you are into it, but it easily takes up at least 30% of my free time and money. Fall Semester '08 I was spending $40 a week on cable passes minimum plus the $15-25 it takes to go out on a boat once a week (Gas, Food, Beer, :420:). So in the end in one semester I spent over $1200 on wakeboarding (semester's savings for a poor college student). It was worth every penny.

But back to motorcycles...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  18. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I've been as far as Pensacola, and it's a blast. We took the Jetski down there. You haven't really ridden a PWC until you've ridden one in the ocean or gulf! WOW! I had no idea water could be so... 3-dimensional. I drank so much salt water I wanted a bottle of lemon juice to wash it down.

I think it'd be cool to be able to go to one of those wakeboarding boot-camp things for a week, where it's nothing but fun and learning.

I ride behind my modded Kawi STX-15f, so it's not like I'm behind a good wake boat. I can do some basic things (switch, butterslide, wakeslide) but can't do anything that involves getting significant air. Getting air behind a Jetski is like a 10 year old bunny-hopping his dirt bike. SO COOL!!! (until you realize you got, like, 2" of air).

In addition to the MS, we also hit up the lakes, mostly in MO. Lake of the Ozarks is awesome, down by the state park, away from the "big boats" and traffic. In the morning, it really is a sea of glass. It's so smooth, if you're out early on a partly cloudy morning, you could look down and swear you're riding on the clouds, the reflection is so perfect. Awesome.

Here's one of my wife, Dawn, on the wakeboard.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009