wierd problems with my home PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ProgWRX, Jun 12, 2003.

1. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

Hello there.. im having wierd problems with my PC, its pretty "old" as its only a Pentium III 750mhz, with 640mb of RAM (1 128mb and 2 256mb sticks) a 80gig drive partitioned off in 2 , the C: is 20 gig and the rest is as D: for all the data and shit. Im running Windows XP prof.

Ok now on to my problem... the stupid machine randomly powers off by itself. It doesnt restart, it doesnt do a shutdown procedure, nothing, it just TURNS OFF. (its an ATX case) Now, i would normally be looking at the power supply, but its been replaced in the last 6 months for a new one, plus this is the wierd part : whenever it turns off by itself, i cant just push the button and turn it on again, i have to UNPLUG the computer from its power strip (that goes into the UPS) and replug it , check this : ON A DIFFERENT SOCKET WITHIN THE POWERSTRIP! :wtf: :ugh: :rant2: If i dont switch it to another socket it simply WONT do anything. I instantly thought the power strip was acting up, so i connected it directly to the wall socket, without the UPS for a test, and it DID the SAME shit. :wtc:

This is just wierding me out completely, i mean i could understand, that the computer could be turning itself off if its having power issues, but i cant understand how it could be as fickle as not powering Up UNLESS i move around the connection order in the power strip.. :ugh: :rant2: :squint:

Im really at the end of my rope here and i would like some imput from you guys! :bigthumb:

2. Scuba

Scuba New Member

try replacing all the parts with things you have at your house or can borrow if that doesnt work its probably the motherboard my moms comp just recently did that.

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

that actually makes it sound more like the power supply - something might be shorting out or breaking down at higher temps or under load and therefore you have to completely remove power (ie remove the physical plug) to drain it down and allow normal operation again.

4. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

thanks...
    if by power bar you mean the strip? i already tried connecting the puter directly to the wall socket (risking it i know) and it still did it...so that rules out the power strip...right?

im looking at replacing the PSU next

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Honestly I would look at the power supply next, see if there is one you can swap into the machine. Also, while you have your case open, examine your motherboard and make sure there are no scorch marks on it anywhere, when a voltage regulator on my old, old computer was going bad, it did similar things to what yours is doing. It was all burned up after a while of the odd power behavior.

Anyways good luck