wierd PC problem...was hoping you guys could help out ( *PICS*)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mammoth, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

This just started happening to my computer. First time ever. After reading some message boards for about an hour, this just started happening to my computer (see pics below). My mouse is a blob, I can't click anything, and I can't see anything on my monitor. However, once I restart the computer (only way to do it is just turn it off....CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't even work), everything is normal again....until the computer acts up again 30 to 60 minutes later.
    The first time it happened, I was just messing around on the internet. The second time it happened, I was defragging my HD. What do you think this problem is?

Is this....
    1) A Hard Drive problem
    2) A Graphics Card problem
    3) An OS problem
    4) A monitor problem
    5) None of the above

What the hell can I do to fix the problem????

FYI - I just installed a 2nd HD this weekend prior to the problem occuring. It's just a small formatted HD with no OS installed I used simply for storage. Could this be the problem?

I run SpeedFan on my PC and nothing seems to be overheating. When I installed the 2nd HD on Saturday, I cleaned the dust out of the inside with a can of compressed air.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and my system specs are as follows:
    P4 2.8 Ghz
    1 Gig PC3200 DDR
    60 Gig Maxtor HD
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb card
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
    Plextor DVD R/RW
    Sony DVD R/RW
    Windows XP Pro is my OS

2. drake

drake OT Supporter

Try pulling the HDD you added and see if the problem persists. From the looks of it though my guess would be the graphics card.

3. MR Yasir

MR Yasir New Member

probably the video card. Possibly related to heat.

4. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

New wrinkle:

Last night, I went home and now my computer won't boot up at all. The monitor doesn't turn on (I know, symptom of bad video card) but the PC doesn't turn on either. The fans are the only thing that work when I try to turn the beast on now. Normally, various lights will come on (like on the CD Rom), they'll blink for a moment, but will stop when Windows begins loading. However, now my CD Rom light comes on and never turns off. Also, you can hear the different "beeps" when a properly working PC begins booting. However, now the PC is silent. So you can tell the main HDD isn't being accessed nor is the operating system loading.
    I haven't had time to rip it apart yet, but I will by this weekend.

My first step will be:
    1) remove new HDD that I installed last weekend (since I didn't have any problems prior to this)
    - if that doesn't fix it, then I'll
    2) remove my 9800 Pro and replace with old GeForce 3 card

My question now is, if the problem is with my graphics card, would a failing card keep my computer from booting up? If not, what else could it be?

5. MR Yasir

MR Yasir New Member

a failing card can cause a system to not boot up. When you boot up your computer, what kind of beeping do you get? Is it a long beep followed by 3 short beeps? That usually the error given when you have an issue with the AGP card/Slot

6. fantyx

fantyx New Member

Its most definetly not the hard drive. My money is on the RAM. if you have multiple sticks, try taking one out and testing each of them that way. If its not that, its most likely the video card.

7. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

it definitely isnt the hard drive. the machine would just freeze or bluescreen, not do what it is doing.

it is either the video card or the motherboard itself

8. MSA

MSA You're gonna be the one that saves me, And after a

my guess would be that 1. the ps is going bad, or 2. there may have been moisture that got onto components from the compressed air:dunno:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm guessing the Power Supply is toast. Given that most new video cards need their own separate PS connector to feed their need, it's a safe bet that any power supply problems would be first noticed via weirdness in the video card's highly delicate circuitry. The CPU, on the other hand, has all kinds of power protection to keep power supply problems from frying it.

10. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Either PSU or Vid card or both are failing.

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I second this. Swap out the video card first.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Swapping the PSU is less expensive than swapping the video card, and the way computers are these days, he's probably overloading his PSU if it's more than a year or so older than the rest of the stuff in his computer.

You might want to try pulling the video card out and plugging it back in, just to make sure it's contacting properly.

13. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

It's not expensive at all. He has an old video card to try.

14. Mammoth

Mammoth OT Supporter

I think you may be right. Here's an update...let me know what you guys think now.....

First off, it's not the video card. Last night, I swapped out the 9800 Pro for my old GeForce 3 card and the problem still existed. Nothing would power up except for the fans.

Then, with the GeForce 3 card still installed, I unplugged the 2nd HDD I added over the weekend (unplugged both from the ribbon and from the power supply). This time, the computer booted to the BIOS screen...but only briefly. An instant before Windows was about to load, the computer shut down again. And when I tried to re-boot it, the original problem began again....nothing would run except for the fans.

As a couple of you have pointed out, I'm thinking the power supply went bad. Maybe the 2nd HDD I added overloaded it or something. I was thinking that's why the BIOS booted up for a moment when I uninstalled it.

My power supply is a 650 watt cheap no-name brand built by a company called Chiefmax. I was thinking about buying a really good one online today to replace it.

From what I've written, do you think I'm on the right track and it's the power supply? Or am I misreading the situation? Also, what brand powersupply would you recommend & how much power should I get to sufficiently run the machine (if that is indeed the problem)?