Wierd internet problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G_G_L, Apr 26, 2007.

1. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

Hi guys, hopefully you can help:

When I'm online, it seems like half the time I try to do something, the webpage just sits there, and sooner or later I get a "can't connect" error, but if I refressh it enough, it loads. It is the same with AIM, and in CS, one second it refreshes the server, but it can't connect to anything.
    I have NetMeter, and looking at it, the connection is silent, then there's a burst of a couple of seconds, then silent again.
    The only exception I found is dslreports.com, once I got it to run a speed test (didn't get past the latency test the first time), it did the complete test, and NetMeter showed it didn't disconnect that entire time.
    Does anyone know what's causing this, and what I can do? I'm not 100% on when it started, but I came home last night and it was like this, I re-set my modem, restarted my computer, and that didn't help.
    Also, I have a router, and I looked at my gf's laptop, and it was doing the same things.
    Halp?:sadwavey:

Cliffs: Plz fix mah intranets

2. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

Anyone?

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Since both your computer and your gf's, assuming they are hooked to the same router, are having the same problem we can assume it's a problem with the router.

The first thing I'd try is to power off your switch and your broadband modem. Physically unplug the modem. Wait 2 minutes. Plug it back in and turn the power back on for both devices. This will reset your ip address with your ISP.

4. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

Thanks, I think that did the trick! :Ownedd: I thought 30 seconds was enough to reset the modem, and I didn't even think of resetting the router.

I owe you one:wavey:

5. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

The first thing I'd do is reset your modem and router, like Create suggests. If it persists, it seems like packet loss. If you have cable service, you can try replacing splitters in your house.

Try this:
    Code:
    Start -> Run -> cmd -> ping google.com -n 200
    See if you lose anything.