Wierd home networking hub "collision" problem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, Dec 29, 2002.

1. MP

MP New Member

Well I hooked up my bsd server FINALLY (freebsd 4.5) and everything went really smooth. Picked up the IP perfect my desktop computer plugged right into the hub and worked right away.

The problem is that more often then i think it should the hub will show a "collision". I only have this computer, and the server on the network so I don't get why it's doing this. When I had this computer hooked directly up the the cable modem it worked fine so i know it's not the nic card/cat5 cable. Currently i'm running a 8port netgearfe508. Also when it shows "collision" on the hub my computer will display "network/lan cable unplugged" or something like that. I forget the exact wording.

if anybody has some experience or knows what the problemo could be a reply would be cool I don't want to have to fork over $100+ for a switch.

thanks

matt

2. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Try forcing all the NICs to 10-half.

3. MP

MP New Member

10-half? Dunno if i'm following you on that one. You mean change my computers nic from 100mbps to 10mbps? What about the server one? change that one also?

4. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Manually set all the NICs on that segment to 10mbits half-duplex instead of letting them autonegotiate. Most drivers auto-negotiate by default.

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

try getting the latest drivers for your nic card...

if not, you might want to check things like time out settings on the nic... If the nic is set to time out too early in the ethernet connection process, then you will find that the connection will fail...

especially on a higher latency network

6. MP

MP New Member

uggg drivers fucking suck to find. Can't find one for the "intel pro/100+" got any links that might help?

7. Dommi

Dommi Guest

for bsd. not really

8. MP

MP New Member

hehe it's okie. Imma first see if all the cables are correct then just try a few different nic cards i got laying around. Hopefully one of them will work.

9. Dommi

Dommi Guest

yah if it is a driver issue, you can always change the nic. hopefully to somethign that bsd carries reference drivers for...

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I would try what Balzz said. It sounds to me like one of the cards is not negotiating the right mode.

For the BSD machine read the ifconfig mans. (Do BSD's use ifconfig, I can't remember). For windows you might have to look for some utilities for the card. I know 3Com used to have the NIC doctor that let you force modes.

11. MP

MP New Member

yeah...to tell youthe truth i'm not sure what balzz means. I don't know enough to do what he is saying to :( I'll see if someone i know can show me because it's over my head i think.

12. Dommi

Dommi Guest

I think ifconfig is standard across unix systems..

that said
    man ifconfig
    check the files for
    txqueuelen
    media type
    duplex mode

depending on the version of ifconfig in your system
    you can change all three and it will affect the way that packets are transmitted in your system
    if balzz is dead on balzz accurate, then you should be good to go from one of those items

note, my version of red hat does not have a duplex mode listing in ifconfigs man file. ymmv with that

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Right on!

Also, if it is an older ISA card check to see if it has jumpers on the card to control duplex mode, speed etc. You might have to search for a manual on the manufactuers webpage.

14. Dommi

Dommi Guest

right
    of note, some card drivers, will only allow autosense of duplex mode. reference drivers are not popular on systems that dont actually push the envelope in card sales

15. Dommi

Dommi Guest

oh and what kind of nic card is this?

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

More missing vital info. :big grin:

17. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Throw away the hub and get a switch.

Problem solved. :bigthumb:

18. MP

MP New Member

it was a problem w/ a driver and one of the cat5 cables.

Updated the driver and stopped gettign collisions and replaced the cat5 cable going from modem > nic card, and the cable going from server > hub.

everything's coo now.

thanks again :)

matt

19. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Sweet