Widescreen problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shiznits, Aug 9, 2002.

1. shiznits

shiznits What

I just recently puchased a 65' hitachi widescreen Mfr. Model #65SWX20B. I just watched lord of the ring and I had black bars on top and bottom. I thought when you have a widescreen movie and tv there would be no black bars. My dvd is correct in format and so it my tv. Or are the bars suppose to be there? Thanks for any info!!!:confused:

2. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

The black bars are suppose to be there on a widescreen Movie....now if you had a fullscreen movie the black bars will not be there......or at least that's how it works for me ......:dunno:

3. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

The black bars will show up on some movies because there are several different aspect ratios that movies are filmed in. If you watch a 2.35:1 movie on a widescreen TV, you'll get the black bars. If they really bug you that much, you can change to FULL which will remove the black bars but will cut off the ends of the film. Personally, i just deal with the black bars. That's how the director intended the movie to look and you're still getting a much bigger picture than if you were watching on a standard 4:3 TV.

Here's a breakdown:
    Some movies = 2.35:1 aspect ratio (wider and shorter than your TV)
    Other movies = 1.85:1 aspect ratio (still wider and shorter than your TV, but not by as much)
    Your TV (16:9) = 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
    "standard" TV (4:3) = 1.33:1 aspect ratio

check this out for a visual reference: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

BTW, a 65 foot TV. DAMN! I wanna see how big your living room is! :)

4. critus

critus Resident OG Lurker

Nice TV! :big grin: Like cue-ball said 2.35:1 movies, like lord of the rings, still show the lines on widescreen tvs. Just to add into the agruement of widescreen vs. full screen (pan & scan) check out the link below that compares lord of the rings widescreen & full screen.

http://www.random.net.nz/debsoc/comparison/comparison.html

5. egbok

egbok Old Dirty Bastard

Your TV is broken, I'll take if off your hand for $500, I even pay the shipping :bigthumb: