wide grip pull-ups and lat pull down machine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by dwarfcat, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwarfcat

dwarfcat COLTS FTMFW

How different are the 2 excercises? Say some guy is doing pullups at 200lbs should he be able to strap himself in and do 200 on a lat pull down machine? Im still a zillion pounds away from a pull up but im intrigued and want that to be a goal over the next couple years

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

they are similar enough that working one will help the other

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I dont find any correlation between them. I figured being able to do bodyweight on the lat pulldown would translate to doing pullups and I was very very wrong.

4. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

Stop thinking in years and start thinking in months. I'm a fatty working on getting swole and when I first started my weight lifting program back in may I wasn't able to do a single dip or chin up, let alone a wide grip pull up.

One of my personal goals is to be able to do 10 wide grip pull ups with good form.

In 6 months, I went from not being able to budge myself to being able to do 2 pull ups. I know it's not much, but it's a 200% increase since may :rofl:

Now I try to do as many body weight pull ups as I can before I start my back day. Then I'll do negatives until I can't do it anymore. Then I move on to punshing my lats with other exercises.

The hardest part was realizing that nobody in the gym cares how many pull ups you can do. I always thought there was like this group of people who would be laughing at me if I got up there and could only do one or even failed on one attempt. Ultimately, nobody gives a shit and you shouldnt care what they think either.

5. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

I started using the pullup assist machine and i can now do 1 widegrip pullup after a couple months and 11ty pounds lost :o

6. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

I had read some article about exercises where you're body moves through space being more effective. I prefer chins /pullups because i dont have to strap my body down and waste energy on pulldowns.

7. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

yeah, definitely not the same

8. Reign

Reign Banned

I weigh 179lbs, on lat pull I do sets of 8 with 180lb. Doing pull ups I do sets of 8 with 55lbs strapped to me. Or I fail at about 22-25 doing BW ones and have to kick up the last 5 or so. (Pull up = all the way down, all the way up with chin over the bar).

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

obviously pullups are better. When I started lifting again i was using the assisted machine and it just blows. as soon as you can do one pullup, start doing it over and over till you can get two, etc.

10. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

i used to hardly be able to do any, im up to like 20 now. A while ago I started with negatives, not the assisted machine.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I think you're talking about closed-chain exercises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.