A&P Wide angle lens choices

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ElDude, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I've been looking about for a wide angle lens for my 300D (must admit I wasn't expecting to be needing a wide angle lens this soon). Anyway, so far I've seen a few lenses, but the Sigma 12-24mm seems to be the one to go for.

Can anyone with actual experience with wide angle lenses they recommend, please point me to a decent one. I've seen a hell of a lot of people saying conflicting things on various photography forums, but I'm not convinced by any of the reasoning I've seen either way so far (e.g. OMG LOLZ MIE LENZ R TEH PWNZ0R!!1, or equally unhelpful posting on the subject)

I'm not going for the £1000 lenses here as I'm still a fair way off being anywhere near good enough to warrant paying for the best lenses, but looking around, a few are in the £400-£500 region, which is acceptable as I want a good lens.

All help appreciated :)

2. mojito

mojito New Member

New ones coming out for aps-c sensors include the Sigma 10-20mm that replaces teh 12-24 and that allows for filters,a nd a Tokina 12-24. Theres also the Tamron and Sigma 14mm, the Sigma 15-50, Tamron 17-35, Canon 17-40 etc. You have tons of choices. I'd go to Pbase and look through the sample photos from each lens and to www.fredmiranda.com for reviews

3. dmora

dmora Guest

I've got examples of the Sigma 12-24 in my critque thread.

4. sony

sony Active Member

Don't forget the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. It's a APS-C sized image circle, but it'll be fine on your 300D and it's a constant apature which is kind of appealing. Reports say it's a sharp sucker. HAven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Hopefully soon. :x:

5. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

My absolute favorite is a canon 15 - 35 ... omg I love that lens ..... but I guess it depends on your budget.

6. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I am also in the market for a wideangle lense for my 300D. I am in the same boat as you, just an amatuer. I can't fathom spending $750-1300 on a lense currently. Maybe when I master this hobby, but not yet.

There are so many different opinions on this subject, so I decided to try a lense and go from there. I just purchased a Zenitar 2.8/16 fisheye lense. You can get them brand new on eBay for around $120 or so.