A&P Wide angle advice for alaska trip

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by strange_wu, Feb 24, 2008.

1. strange_wu

strange_wu Large Member

I'm going to Alaska in late May.

I'm taking my 40d, 300mm f/4 L IS + 1.4x TC and renting the 500 f/4. So I have wildlife covered.

On the landscape side I have a tokina 12-24 that performs fairly well. My question is would it be worth it to rent a 5d and 16-35L? Do you think the difference in IQ would be worth the $ of a rental?

I can't make up my mind...

2. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Yes, but not really for the quality, but to have a second body as a backup and to make it much easeir to switch between shooting tele/wide.

may want to consider making the rental a 1D3 and a 16-35L for the weather sealing, if you want to be able to do any shooting in rain unprotected. The 500/4 is also sealed.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if you're that anal about your photos, I think you're got bigger problems on your hands.

the 40d will do just fine...the 12-24 is a great lens, and 300mm f/4 should be sufficient enough for the zoom needs.

4. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

Some of my Alaska shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I was using was a XT with a kit lense, and a 70-300 4-5.6.

I specifically bought the camera for the trip, so the funds were not there for more lenses. A wide angle would of come in handy.

If you have a decent bag to carry an extra camera, then I'd say yeah it's worth it.

5. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

If you're going to have fun and take some pics on the side, then sure, your shots are acceptable.

But if you're going to take great photographs, a kit lens / 70-300 is never going to do the job.

I have the 300 F4 IS and I would also rent a 500 F4 as it's just not enough reach, and not that great with the 1.4x... The 500 with the 1.4x is great though.

You will want to rent a nice gitzo setup and a monopod if you don't have one already, shooting a 500 is no joke.

If you don't have anyone going with you to help you carry a pelican case, you are going to want to rent or buy one of the Kata backpacks that can hold the 500/4 and two bodies and a few other lenses, and that you can strap a tripod/monopod to.

You may want to consider even leaving the 300/4 at home and going with only the 500/4 and 1.4x.

If It were me, trying to keep gear to a minimum I would go:

40D/5D
    1D2/3/1Ds2/3
    16-35 2.8L II
    24-105 L IS or 135 F2, depending on your need for a general IS walkaround and leaving gear in the hotel VS a stunning tele.
    500 F4 L IS
    1.4x TC
    ND Grad, ND, CircPL for lenses
    Monopod and Tripod with decent heads
    shit ton of flash cards, and maybe a photo tank like device
    laptop with slim backup drive

That is going to still be a hell of a lot of stuff to schlep around, so finding the right bag and straps etc is going to be important.

6. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

TBH he could really use the 500. While it can be easy to get close to wildlife, just as often it is a very long way off. I live here and shoot here every day and 300 is just not enough a lot of the time.

You'll want a longer wide angle as well as the 12-24. You are going to use everything from as short as you can get to as long as you can get.

Are you going to Southeast? Interior? Once you leave the panhandle and get north of Anchorage things are going to get very large and far afa landscape goes.

7. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

This was my entry to digital SLR photography. Bought the camera for the trip. If I was to do it a second time, I would definately buy more gear.

Holy Shit! That's a lot of gear. For a newb photographer (me), with shitty lenses, you can still get decent results.

Keep in mind, that day trips can be long, weather can be shitty, day trips can be costly (budget for them, well worth it).

the eagle shot - I was using the 75-300 from a kayak.

the falcon shot - I happen to have the 70-300mm attached as it flew overhead.

You may not have time, or be able to set up your equipment.