Wi-Fi Channels

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Okay, so I've heard that channels 1, 6, and 11 are the ideal channels to use in Wi-Fi in order to minimize interference with the other channels, but what should I do if there are 8-10 wireless networks within range of my router? (as seen below). These other networks are becoming detrimental to my wireless network's performance. My connection speed to the router was 54 mbps when I first moved here, but since more people have been getting wireless routers, it has been steadily going down, and now is only around 18, 24, or 48 mbps.

My wireless network's SSID is "Zach." I have it set to 9 currently, but are there any wireless gurus who feel it should be set to anything else to minimize interference? Or I am just fucked?

P.S. I can log in to about half of the routers here as the default password has never been changed, I'm thinking about just disabling the wireless radio and seeing how long it takes them to figure out what's wrong. :mamoru:

P.P.S. I have MAC filtering enabled, for those of you who will make fun of me for not using WPA. My wireless game adapter for my 360 is not compatible with WPA, so I'm forced to take other measures. :wtc:

[​IMG]

2. 7960

7960 New Member

9 may be hurting you because it's overlapping with 6 and 11.

(do you see a picture below?)

[​IMG]

You set yours at 9 so you're getting sideband interference from everyone at 6 *and* 11. If you put yours at 11 you may notice less interference. Also, if you can turn off the B radio there's a chance that could help, too. If you're using a B card then you're stuck, but if you have a b/g card disable B on both.
    You'd only get made fun of if you used it thinking it was as good or better than WPA. Using it because you investigated and found you *need* to is ok....at least you're going to make someone work for it :rofl:

3. Sexual Vanilla

Thanks for the advice. It does appear from your picture that 11 would possibly give me the best performance. That nonbroadcasting SSID bastard is the only one giving me trouble now. I've tried connecting to that router to change the channel, but my 1337 hacking skills have not fully matured...at least not to the point of sniffing the SSID from passing packets. I'll continue to look into this, and if anyone has any advice, I won't tell People you told Me.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't hack his router. that's a very dipshit thing to do. It's unlicensed space, so it's a co-exist first-come basis.

5. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

You really should find another way to secure your router.

6. tyrionlannister

7. Sexual Vanilla

Co-exist first-come basis? That makes no sense. As I stated in the original post, I owned one of the original wireless networks...when I first moved in, there were only 2, both on channel 6. So I chose 11.

"Hacking" a router and logging in to one with the readily available default passwords are totally different things. Besides, I'm not using his connection for illegal shit...I'd use it just so I could change his channel.

I've made it clear why I can't use WPA. Sure it's easy to spoof your MAC address, but you must spoof one that is on my short list of allowed MACs in order to connect. If someone is able to successfully spoof one of the few MAC addresses on my list, then they have earned the right to use my network.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It makes perfect sense, and you just demonstrated it. It's unlicensed, so a number of users must co-exist on a finite band of frequencies. It is done on a first-come basis because you have no more right than anyone else to use the frequency band, therefore the first to use it, has it. If you are the new guy and you interfere with someone else, it is *you* that must change... Not them.

Gaining illegal access to a users network and subsequent modification of their settings is a dipshit thing to do. Don't do it.

9. tyrionlannister

10. Sexual Vanilla

Yep, bought a Linksys Wireless B game adapter back when I first got the original Xbox 5 or so years ago. Still works great to this day...with the exception of the lack of WPA support.

11. Sexual Vanilla

As I've stated 2 times already, I was on channel 11 originally. There were only 2 other networks in range, both on channel 6 when I first moved in 2 years ago. This guys comes in with his nonbroadcasting SSID and decides to go on 11 too. So...according to you, he should have to change. Because I don't feel like walking around to each apartment asking "Do you have a nonbroadcasting SSID on channel 11?", I was going to change it for him.

12. tyrionlannister

It's no big deal to change the channel on a wireless network. It's not like he'll no longer be able to get access. His system will adjust for the change automatically. If anything, his signal will be better due to less interference. It's more like you're doing the guy a favor.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so breaking the law is easier for you than simply talking to your neighbors for 5 mins?

802.11 is a co-exist technology. You must work with people (I know that's hard for white-skinned, tan-less, virgins who lack people skills)... You can't just go around breaking laws to avoid person-to-person contact.

14. Sexual Vanilla

99% of my neighbors would give me the :ugh: look if I knocked on their door and asked them what channel their wireless network was broadcasting on.

Isn't it understood that if you're white-skinned, you are also tanless? :bowdown:

15. 7960

7960 New Member

No.

802.11 is unlicensed and requires you to accept signals from other transmitters. In other words he does NOT have to change. He onliy has to make sure he's within the 802.11 requirements.

16. Sexual Vanilla

I agree with you. I was using Jolly's logic when I stated that.

17. itsjim

itsjim New Member

Change the channels on your neighboors routers. I did it to all of mine.. Well I actually put them all on channel 1 and put myself on 11. It's not your fault they didn't change the default logins, especially if it's on an unsecured network.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

this is asshole talk :rolleyes:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's not their fault, either... It's still theft if you get in someone elses car w/o permission and drive off -- even if you simply relocate it so you can have their parking spot.

Just like accessing someone elses network without permission is theft of service, fraud, and possibly identity theft.

20. itsjim

itsjim New Member

Oh well, it's theft then.. At least my wireless router works as it should