GUN Why you dont go off into the wilderness w/o a gun or slow friend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 8, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Grizzly victim drives 25 km for help
    Blood-drenched surveyor makes his way out of wilderness in pickup truck
    Becky Rynor, Canwest News Service; with files from Global News
    Published: Thursday, May 08, 2008
    http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=0ea58e6d-12fd-471c-bcc1-772102cc5043

VANCOUVER -- British Columbians are being warned to be extra vigilant of bear attacks after a man was mauled by a 400-kilogram grizzly on Saturday.

Brent Case, 53, was doing surveying work for a power company just east of Bella Coola when, he told his son, "he felt like someone was watching him."

"[The bear] initially grabbed him and threw him to the ground," Dean Case said.

"It was kind of boggy where he was and he fell down and there was a log nearby, so he tried to . . . put himself under the log. But the bear grabbed him by the other arm and pulled him out from under there."

The younger Case said "after the bear pulled him back out and chomped on the back of his head, he thought he was going to die."

His father wasn't dead, but he pretended to be while the bear jumped up and down on him several times, then finally wandered off.

In spite of severe gashes on his head and upper arm, bites to his elbow and knee and bleeding profusely, he managed to drive his pickup truck about 25 kilometres out of the bush to a nearby settlement.

"I knew right away he'd been attacked by something," said Rob Sandford who initially helped Case. "What I could see [he was] basically covered in blood."

Case was rushed to hospital in Bella Coola and then airlifted to Vancouver General Hospital, where he remained yesterday.

"The stitches are stapled all over the back and the side of his head, and over his upper arm," Dean Case said. "He's a pretty smart guy and he kept his face down when it was happening, so he doesn't have any damage to his face."

Bella Coola, on the central coast, is 700 kilometres northwest of Vancouver.

"Bear populations have been increasing fairly steadily since the '70s," said Kate Thompson, a spokeswoman for the provincial Ministry of the Environment.

"We're looking at anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000 in the black bear population. The grizzly population is about 17,000. We have pretty much half of Canada's bears just in the one province."

Environment Minister Barry Penner also urged British Columbians to be wary of bears at this time of year.

"We've just come through a long winter so I would imagine any of the bears that are just now emerging from hibernation are hungry and that probably means they're a little bit grumpy."

In Abbotsford, police warned residents to steer clear of bears in the southern Sumas Mountain area after a black bear was struck by a vehicle early yesterday and possibly injured.

Police believe the animal may be hurt, but it ran from the scene and has not been found. The driver was not injured.

Staff Sgt. Paul Briggs said that while the impact caused extensive damage to the vehicle, the bear may not be seriously hurt. However, he's warning the public they should avoid bears and to contact the police immediately if they spot one in the area.

Officers have also contacted the provincial Emergency Preparedness Program to request the service of a conservation officer to find the injured bear.

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Dumb fucker.

It takes two bears to do that right, one male and one female.

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Wouldn't matter if you had a slow friend, everyone knows you never run away from a bear.

4. Aequitas

And if you were planning to run away you would want a slow friend, better chance of the bear getting him instead of you.

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

He should have just gave the bear his pic-a-nic basket.

6. My parents have a cabin just on the American side of the border in that area. I have seen a number of bears around in the past few years.

7. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:rofl: :rofl: [​IMG] :rofl: :rofl:

8. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

He could've been carrying a Non-Restricted centerfire rifle or shotgun to and from there. No excuse...

9. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

this is the real reason i take retards camping... even though i tell people it's to do something nice.

10. GTP

GTP New Member

+1
    Surveyors/Prospectors are one of the few positions that you could get an authorization to carry a handgun as well.

11. Gjs312

Gjs312 For life

Am I the only one who read that and thinks that guy kinda sounds like a badass? Mabey he wasnt carrying because of work restrictions or law?

I dunno, being able to fucking 6th sense a bear attack and then not die in it is kinda respectable :eek3:

12. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

I lol'd :mamoru:

13. Baldwizzle

Baldwizzle New Member

Question: What kind of bear is best?

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

15. Baldwizzle

Baldwizzle New Member

False

Black bear.

16. Aequitas

Bears. Beets. Battle Star Galactica.
    [​IMG]

17. dannybonbon

dannybonbon Guest

On a Canadian show I watched. Some hypocritical natives whinging about getting paid top dollar to mine on their stolen land have a little cry about it,etc.

Anyway this native guy said he had to put his rifle in storage while working at the mine.