Why would my internet slow to a crawl?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So over the last two days, something has been wrong with my internet. Its normally in the 250mpbs range and now its down to 172kbps down and 342kbps up. The upload speed is slightly low, but very close to the normal rate. I called tech support to report the problem and the agent said that as long as I am getting an IP and getting out to the web, then the problem is on my end (regardless of speed). The problem IS NOT on my end. I have a Linksys WRT54G between my modem and my computer and even took it out of the network and nothing changed. I connected wirelessly and wired. No changes. I changed the encryption and even removed it. Still slow. No other MAC addresses have connected to my router. Sometimes I even have to refresh OT 2 or 3 times before I finally get through. I can't stay connected to a poker game because of the connection. I'm going to call tech support again on Monday afternoon and would like some suggestions to give them. So what are some reasons that my download speed would drop so drastically?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Do you have cats?

I've had issues where my cats would chew the coaxial cable for my modem and it'd really screw up my connection (packet loss, low speeds), changing the cable solved it for me.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

you have comcast

i have the exact same problem

it's something to do on their end, not mine