why would a hard drive spontaniously appear to be empty?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jan 25, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my parents hard drive was working fine for years. the other day they had booted up and it hung before it could even find the windows boot loader.

i thought it might have just been a simple mbr problem, so i ran repair with an xp disk. it didn't find the old version of windows to repair. so i ran a couple of hard drive testing programs and they all said the drive was in decent shape

threw the drive in my computer as a slave, started to boot windows, it starts to scandisk the drive and repairs a bunch of stuff, but hangs at the end. i reboot, skip the scandisk this time. windows finishes booting, the drive shows up in my computer, but says its corrupted

i load up getdataback for ntfs, it finds the drive and all the files. i grab the files my dad wants (1gb of pictures that he never backs up)
    not a virus, my parents computer has symantec
    i'm guessing that the drive is on its last legs. :dunno:

cliffs: parents drive dies, appears as though it's empty, but getdataback got me the files i needed

2. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

my 250gb western digital did this a few months ago, I guess the flags on the HD became corrupted... it basically went from being a working drive to telling you that this hard drive has not yet been formatted. I used the same program you did, got off all my emulation, said fuck the music and videos I can get them easyer then emulation and box'ed the drive... its in my closet now...

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is an under-appreciated reason to defrag. Defragging forces the data on the disk to be freshly re-recorded from time to time, and it staves off demagnetisation that causes data loss.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

^^ good point, will set a batch file in scheduler to have it defrag every couple of days

yeah, i had the feeling it was just the drive taking a crap soon. it had the classic whine sound coming out of it for years...out of the blue it just happened. always good to backup

5. Suspend

Suspend New Member

MBR?

Might be the MBR is corrupt, but in worst case scenerio a $75 program called "Get data back" is exquisite in dealing with corrupt drives :)

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is the file I run on my servers at work. I run at at 3am every Sunday. It's called "unfrag.bat" and it sits in the root of the C: drive.

date /t >> UnfragDates.txt
    defrag c: /v > FragReportC.txt <== repeat this line for each drive letter you want to defrag
    exit