Why won't my system burn discs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Feb 4, 2006.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I have a big problem. My system came with a dvd burner. Recently, it started acting funny and would fail before the burn would complete. Music CDs would work but DVDs would not work. So, I downloaded new software...tried it and it still did not work. I went out and bought a new drive...it's a Plextor. I installed it...installed Nero. I try to make a back up CD-R. The first try it did not work...second try I took some picture files out and set it to burn at 24x instead of 48x. It burned the CD in about 2 minutes. Then I tried a DVD. Still won't work. I have tried two types of media...both 4x and 2.4x. The program will set the disc up but it never makes it to the actual burn process and it fails. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Also, I was offline and closed out all resource heavy apps.

Thanks

2. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

dude, DVD drives are the bane of my existence right now! lol. honestly..it could be tons of stuff..mebbe the IDE cable ur using is fucked up, or theres sum hardware imcompatibility..dunno

3. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

DMA might be the issue.

4. quzur

quzur Active Member

What is DMA ?

5. skelm

skelm New Member

Look into DMA but also try using another burning utility.. What happens if you only burn say 1meg to the disk? Will the disk finalise? Also check the drivers are up to date and the ide cable isn't loose. Maybe try another brand of disk?

6. quzur

quzur Active Member

I've done all that. This is the 2nd drive...one CD-R worked but the DVD-R would not start the burn process.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like the general issue is that the burner isn't getting new data fast enough to keep up with the speed it's putting data onto the disc. To make absolutely sure the drive isn't the problem, burn a disc at 1x speed. If it works, then you need to start chasing down all of the speed-related issues with the drive, such as whether it's connected to the same cable as your hard drive (bad) and whether it's using the highest DMA setting available (good). You might also consider getting rid of Nero and any other burning software you have; Windows XP can burn CDs and DVDs just fine on its own.

8. skelm

skelm New Member

All this nero hate... The windows burning utility is a joke.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If all you care about is tossing some files on a disc, you don't need anything complicated. The Windows CD Burning utility might be weak, but you can't deny that it's easy to use for simple tasks.