GUN Why was I more accurate with 147gr JHP...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aviator, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Aviator

Aviator Banned

...than I was with 115gr FMJ? Both WWB. I was at the range the other day, hadn't shot in a while, and shot 100 rounds of the FMJ then shot a few mags of the JHP and I had much tighter groupings with the heavier HP ammo. Shouldn't lighter bullets be more accurate at short ranges?

Also, in doing a little internet research, i found a page about ammo that says NOT to use 147 grain ammo in 9mm....some crap about it jamming the gun. I've never had any problems. :dunno:

The link: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

2. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Sometimes a heavier object will move slower but will also make up for that in stability, whereas a very light object will move faster, but will be more unstable.
    I think I remember that correctly from physics

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Chucks hawks and his anonymous page is full of shit.

If it works for you, go with it. Maybe the round is just assembled in a way that fits your gun better, maybe you feel less recoil and shoot it better, who knows.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

A lot of IPSC/USPSA shooters prefer the recoil characteristics of heavier, slower rounds vs. lighter, faster rounds... the general consesus being that 115gr cartridges cause more muzzle rise. So, if you were shooting rapidly, it might just be that your gun was easier to control.

Otherwise...was the ammo of comparable quality? It wouldn't really be fair to compare 115gr WWB or Blazer with 147gr Gold Dots or Ranger T's...

5. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I've found that most weapons have a preference as to what they like to shoot better with. Some guns will like the heavier round, some the lighter, some faster, etc. There's a lot going on in there at the same time so it's hard to determine all of the variables that dictate how they work together. If you reload you'll find this too, some powders work bad in one gun and great in another. If you find something you're good with, stick with it!