GUN Why the Ruger hate?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Shaggy007, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I purchased a new Ruger p89 a little while ago, and took it to the range recently. I have to say I love this thing, it feels right in my hand and is pretty accurate.

After talking to people I mainly get two different responses:

1. The people that have actually owned one for a while, and love theirs as well.

2. Other people that make scoffing remarks to it.

The first group, if they don't have their Ruger anymore always are on the look out to purchase another.

The second group of people never seem to have a real response to why they don't like Rugers. One of my friends just doesn't like Rugers policies, and that is a mystery to me as well, but it's respectable.

What's the deal are most people just butthurt because I got a good gun for a lot less than they got theirs?

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

No hate from me. I've had a mini-14 since about 1990 and I love it. I guess I'm in the first group. :)

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

No hate from me either. I think Ruger is awesome. I had a P89 for a long time and now I have a GP-100.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Never understood it either. It's probably one of the strongest designs and they are reliable as sin.

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

My buddy, the one that doesn't like their policies, wanted me to get a glock but I just didn't like the plastic frame. That and something about it not feeling right in my hand just turned me off of them.

I mean the only problem that I really have with mine is that I don't like the factory sights on it.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I have a Ruger Mini-14, 22/45, and an SP101 in .22LR. I love them all and agree they're reliable. I can see some of their designs need improvements in the accuracy department (mini-14) but it will eat shitty ammo and run dirty no problem.

They also have some policies I can see people hating as not wanting civilians to have Hi-Cap magazines. The biggest they sell for the mini-14 is a 5 round magazine. They 20 and 30 round mags they will only sell to law enforcement. They won't even fix a 20 round mag if you have a problem with it.

7. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I had a Ruger P-89T that I put about 2500 through with no problems, I kept it till my friend who is new to guns fired it and liked it so much he bought it from me and he loves it.

They get the hate because they are inexpensive, not cheap, but inexpensive and certain people on this board seem to think unless you spend $1000 on a gun its crap.

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

my mini-14 was a jam-o-matic... but i had a ruger red label shotgun that was very good.

their revolvers are very good, and their SP series of yore are better than S&W of today, IMO.

but their P series pistols were something i never liked. they were large for their caliber due to using investment cast frames and slides... and i'm not a huge fan of investment cast parts for items designed to go "bang". if they were machined, i'd probably be a bigger fan as machined parts can be made thinner and still maintain its strength. it was the investment cast aluminum frame that turned me away the most... it's cheap to produce, but it just didnt feel "right".

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Were you using aftermarket magazines?

I've never had a single round jam using Ruger stamped magazines. Aftermarket ones you have to modify a bit, or else they do jam a lot.

10. Donlanci

Donlanci New Member

i've never got the hate either...but my only experience with ruger is a mk.1 and the 10/22.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I :love: my 10/22

12. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Gun snobs don't like things that are inexpensive. Alot of times, people's "experience" with guns is what gun shop guys tell them. And why would a gun shop guy want to sell you a $280.00 gun when he could sell you on a $500.00 Glock? The majority will trash the cheaper guns just to get a higher sale.

13. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

When I was looking one time, my range was telling me how good the Ruger P-series are. That is why I like my range, they dont push stuff on you and give you the facts

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You had to be using a non-ruger magazine. I have yet to have a jam using any of my Ruger magazines (one 5 rd and three 20 round mags).

15. oakie

oakie my ninja.

nope. bone stock. shot like shit fresh out of the box.

i listened to comments like the both of yours and bought one because they were a great deal way back when. shot horribly... i was apalled. it went back on consignment less than a month later and replaced with an HK94. mind you this was back in 1994.

i shot a friend's Mini-30 a few months back, and it also was a jam-o-matic, but i cannot say if the mags were stock or not in that case.

16. oakie

oakie my ninja.

a good salesman will tell you what you want to hear. if they know you bought a Springfield XD, they're not going to try and sell you on a Sig that's double the price... it would only discourage you and stop any potential for a sale.

now if they recommend you a gun in your desired price range, this increases your chance of purchase instead of creating a pipe dream. because, when it comes down to it, what are they wearing on their hip?

the cheapest gun i own is a Glock 23 i bought 9 years ago. my local dealer does not try to introduce me to used or "cheaper" guns based on my buying habits. am i a guns snob? maybe. do i buy for the name? nope... i buy based on reputation, which increases my chances of being satisfied with my purchase. i have bought a lot of guns from them... to the point that if i express interest in a gun, they'll pull it and hold it in back knowing i'll probably buy it eventually; they'll risk losing other sales for "a sure thing".

of course they're not going to try and yank my dick by trying to "advertise" a Walther P99 to me, because that's not what i'm looking for; they know i always buy something that's proven... not by customers, but by governments, because they know i'll take full advantage of their return policy if it does not function as advertised, and will take my business elsewhere.

17. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

i dont hate rugers but, i definately didnt like the P89 personally there was just something about it seemed i dunno clunky i guess although it did not jam and it did do what it was built to do and fire bullets. And is the jamming on the mini-14/30 common? in over 100 episodes of the A-Team theirs never jammed?:rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  18. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Hehe, my gunshops here know to not even bother trying to sell me something. I pretty much just stated up front that I know what I am looking for and if I see it, I will ask to check it out, or ask them to order it.
    Now they just offer me a cup of coffee and a chair around the stove and ask me about stuff.

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I've only seen it on mine w/ am aftermarket magazine and only heard about it from other people using aftermarket magazines. I just hate the stock accuracy on them is 3" - 6" groups at 100 from the factory... some ppl get good ones... a lot get crappy.

21. KMD

KMD Guest

I only own one a Blackhawk convertable .357/ 9mm no complaints here.

I like their auto as well I am a South Paw and like the ambidextrious(sp) features.

22. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i've never had any problems with ruger. my 10/22 has never given me any problems and all of the other rugers i have shot worked perfectly.

23. pooh

pooh voight-kampff

I have a P89DC and it's my first gun, so far, so solid...no complaints! :cool:

24. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Got it again today from a cop that me and my buddy were talking to. He would toss in a rib every once in a while during our conversation. He was more so just giving me shit in a friendly way though which was cool.

He was carrying either a sig or s&w, thing looked exactly like a glock.