WHY THE FUCK DOES MY COMPUTER KEEP FREEZING

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XTREME COCKSUCKER, Dec 9, 2008.

1. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

I apologize for the caps, but this is getting really really old.

Macbook Pro purchased in June 2006. Running Mac OS X Version 10.5.5. 1GB of RAM, and I have a SimpleTech 450GB HDD hooked up to it. Not much third party software except for Firefox, VLC, Final Draft (screenwriting software), and Missing Sync for my Blackberry.

My computer freezes on average ten or fifteen times a week. It happens randomly, although more often when I'm running a lot of applications and/or downloading a lot. Sometimes it just freezes and the only thing I can move is my mouse, sometimes it freezes and the screen fades to white, sometimes the screen just goes wacky and shows all types of random cross patterned colors. Just a few minutes ago, the screen just went blank, while I could hear the computer whirring like it was getting ready to self destruct.
    One thing that seems to set it off is the dock. I have my dock hidden, and for some reason it freezes most often (but not exclusively) when I go to the dock and the icons become magnified. It also seems to happen in spurts...I'll go a day without it freezing, but then I'll have it happen five, six, seven times in a row.

OH LOOK IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN! Anyway...

My first thought was overheating, but I've shut the computer down and allowed it to sit for over two hours only to have it freeze on me again as soon as I turned it back on.

This has been going on for quite a while now, and it's getting worse. Anyone have any ideas?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

logic board maybe :dunno:

did you run the diagnostic tests from the install DVD

3. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

Don't have the install DVD with me and won't for another few weeks.

4. JCrev

JCrev Where is your god now? OT Supporter

check ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ and see if there is anything obvious causing the crashes.