Why the f*** doesn't BMW compete in DTM???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by curiousgeorgeM3, Apr 14, 2003.

1. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Can someone please answer me this question?? It pissed me off everytime I see one of those races knowing BMW could and should build a car that could beat the snott out of the DTM regulars.

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Maybe as they're concentrating on the Formula 1 programme. Also BMW are involved in the ETCC in a big way, so I guess its just a costing issue.

I often wonder why the M3 GTR couldnt have been adapted to compete in DTM though.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

The "rumor" ive heard (ive heard it more then enough to have it still be a rumor) is that BMW doesnt want to compete in the DTM becuase they cant do their own thing, with their own stuff. I.E. they cant run they M5 V8 in the M3, and build a custom chassis, etc.
    The new DTM rules are very strict. You have to run virtually identicle engines, with the same V degree, displacment, etc. (basicly a crate motor) and the same off the shelf Bosch fuel injectors, rails, and EFI system. Obviously not somthing BMW wants to do becuase they cant showcase THEIR hardware. Plus the chassis for all the cars have to be built to a certain spec, and the body aerodynamics are really the only area left open. ITs not quite as bad as the German V8*Star series, but both might as well be German NASCAR anymore with their everything must be fair, reasonable, and prudent, rules.
    And as already mentioned, they do have a vested interest in the LeMans series, F1, and a very strong showing in the ETCC, where they CAN showcase their hardware, and have praticly dominated that series from day one.

4. curiousgeorgeM3

Hmmmm....so judging by the evidence here, it's more a case of MB and Audi being afraid to compete in a real series like ETCC where they would likely have their asses handed to them by a number of competitors. I have to admit, I don't really know too much about DTM. I just figured that since the bodywork looked so radical that the engines underneath must be too. :o

Also, the comparison to NASCAR would explain why they bump and physically run each other off the road so much in DTM.

5. elysium

elysium Guest

Actually, in F1, Mercedes is currently owning BMW. ;)
    As for Audi/VW, they really need to join F1 already. All their talk of
    being technically superior to * in their TV ads makes me laugh
    when they don't even participate in the most technical of all
    motorsports. I suppose you could argue they are spending too much
    time/money in the ALMS. Ah well. Go Kimi/DC!

6. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

I would say that Audi probably doesn't want to join because they are so heavily involved in ALMS, and they are quite dominant in that so you can't really take anything away from them there.

7. curiousgeorgeM3

:rofl: Whateves. There have been three races and one of MB's wins came because of some ghey rule that was enforced after a last lap wreck that didn't even involve the leader at the time. That rule that gives the victory to the person who was leading 2 laps prior to the crash, which happened to be MB even though they weren't leading at the time of the incident. That is just retarded. Anyway, there is still a lot of season to be played out and too few races have been completed for anyone to be "owning" anyone else.

8. ToBillBrasky

ToBillBrasky run away my son. see it all. see the world.

score board bitch :fawk: :big grin:

9. curiousgeorgeM3

:rofl: LOL True dat. It should be an exciting season none-the-less

10. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

MB owns racing.. except ferrari seems to have forgotten that the past few years and seems to want to win all the time. hahahha.. last season was pathetic for MB, this season looks better.

oh ya and the CLK-DTM car fucking owns.. i love that thing.

11. elysium

elysium Guest

Just to let you guys know... After the race, Fisichella went into the pits and his car burst into flames. So basically he wouldn't have lasted anyways, and Kimi would have won. In effect, that 2-lap prior rule thing would not have effected MB's 1st place finish. If you don't believe me, go check the tapes! :)