Why the f am I getting such low Bittorent speeds!?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by b-dizzle, Jan 5, 2006.

1. b-dizzle

b-dizzle Corporate Man-whore

I've tried everything... the speeds fluctuate like crazy, and sometimes settle between 0-20 kb/s... The uploads are usually 0-3kb/s - this is killing my ratio on several sites... can anyone suggest tips on increasing the speeds (especially upload speeds)?

I'm on a high speed extreme connection, behind a router, with no NAT errors, with the proper ports forwarded... I am connected to tons of peers when I'm seeding.... what else could be preventing me from hitting these high speeds I keep hearing about?

2. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

3. b-dizzle

thank you for the link... any help is appreciated

however, I've already tried everything that site has suggested

I'll give an example: In Azureus, I have been seeding three torrents for 3 hours now (no downloads). In the three hours, I have uploaded a total of 12 MBs

My d/l speeds are decent... totalling around 30KB/s between 4 torrents. But these speeds are still ridiculous considering I can read 500+KB/s if downloading through other p2p programs or directly from a site

shall I give up and move onto newsgroups?

4. b-dizzle

forgot to mention that I am connected to 26 peers between those three torrents that I am seeding

5. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

I hate newsgroups. Stick with p2p.

6. b-dizzle

fawk my uploads have stopped completely... my downloads are at 28 kb/s

there has to be a way to improve this. I've only uploaded 20 MBs in 4 hours

7. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

What kind of connection do you have?

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Where do you donwload from?

What ports are you using?

Some sites block the standard 6881-6999 or whatever, so make sure you are not using them...

EDIT - I just re-read and saw that you use Azureus which only uses one ports, not a range. Try changing the port for the hell of it.

Also, look into a program called BT Engine.

9. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Do you have a port opened AND forwarded to the machine you use for BT? Before I finally opened up a port, I'd get very low speeds, generally 5-30 KB/sec, depending on how many seeders, after opening it, I've maxed out at a little over 400 KB/sec. It has a huge effect on speeds.

Also make sure your not limiting your uploads, BT is a "tit-for-tat", slow uploads could result in peer clients not wanting to send you data back, thinking you're a leecher.

10. b-dizzle

thanks for all the suggestions guys...

yes I do have the correct ports open and forwarded, but I'm still not reaching these legendary speeds... in fact my speeds still vary quite a bit.

My co-worker is a network guru and he tells me that my speeds are normal... he says that because torrents are downloaded in chunks, the number of connections does not relate to speeds... it just depends on whether the connection of the person seeding that chunk has high speeds or not...

I'm kinda wondering now if he's telling me the truth or ppl on the net are lying about these insane speeds :wtc:

11. b-dizzle

oh and I do have a fairly good upload ratio.. I just have to seed forever, and I'm not using ports 6881-6999.

Funny thing when I woke up this morning - the up speeds were actually what I expected ~50kb/s, so something I'm doing is right. But now, it's back to it's old tricks and slow as hell

12. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Yea BT downloads peices from many different people. I've had Torrents run at 400+ kbps, but then most of the time it runs aroudn 20-40 on my 3meg connection. most of the time its the upload on the other end and not your connection.