WEB Why the dislike for Joomla?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Futureguy-4DP, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Futureguy-4DP

Futureguy-4DP 4th dimensional

I've been lurking these forums for a while, and have noticed quite a lot of negativity towards the Joomla CMS.

For content-driven sites it's very good. I fact, I've made a career out of content development, using Joomla platforms.

Wondering some specific reasons, why some of the folks in here dislike it.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I don't have any Joomla negativity, I just think Drupal is a better product, and for content-driven sites Drupal would be a better choice.

I'd agree that for user friendliness Joomla > Drupal however.

3. Futureguy-4DP

That's essentially why I like Joomla. Take the basic core, add a high end template (Rockettheme is the best in the biz), add a few modules and your content... **BAM** sick website.

4. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

yeah. ive never seen any outright dislike towards it, just most promote drupal for cms over it.

5. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

As above, i've used it and don't mind it, but prefer drupal. It also seems very bloated for most my purposes.

6. Futureguy-4DP

Ah, cheers for the feedback. Been lurking for a while finally got a sub.

I'll be back, to throw some of my Joomla powered ideas into the WL soup. :naughty:

7. Insert Tokens

I'll probably play with Joomla again properly soon to decide whether we're better off using it, or Drupal, for our corporate site at work.

8. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

I give Joomla much love, we use it for the majority of our projects.

9. matrixan

matrixan New Member

depends what you use joomla for, if you have clients that just want to be able to mod the info on the site that you built for them... I'd recommend http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/ (free) ez to use and the best part it's easy to integrate to any site. Joomla is complex when it comes to integration, that is why all site have the structure of it's original template.

10. Futureguy-4DP

I guess English is not your first language, matrixian. Anyway, when you say 'Joomla is complex when it comes to integration', do you mean it's difficult to 'integrate' a non-Joomla site into Joomla, and make it look the same?

If so, I must agree. I've had this issue before, and it's a real bugger to get it looking exactly the same.

These days, in such a case, I would get around that limit of Joomla by asking the client: 'Why does it need to look exactly the same?' If Joomla can offer enhanced and easy functionality but not look exactly like the original website, what's the big deal?

If you work freelance and constantly need to keep (fussy) clients happy on that mico level, ya, maybe another CMS might be better.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Really? That's too bad. :sadwavey: Design obviously has a major impact on a website and all sites will have a different look and feel due to every problem having a unique solution. I don't have that problem with Drupal. :wiggle:

12. Futureguy-4DP

So converting a Photoshop mockup into a Drupal system poses little difficulty? Interesting. Is that why Drupal template clubs are less popular (as far as I know) than Joomla ones – because they're not really needed?

The only Drupal site I know of is the Onion. Got any others, with an overall deign that you find impressive?

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No, I don't have any problems converting a Photoshop mockup into Drupal's templating engine. There are no limitations, as long as the designer designs with dynamic elements in mind.

14. Insert Tokens

+1 for Drupal's easy templating.

15. i run a joomla site at my work, it is not too bad to use... it's more user-friendly though and a lot of guys i know dont like it b/c of that.... these are the same guys that refuse to use windows in place of linux because windows would be too easy though...

16. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

This doesn't even make sense. If the application is user friendly while being extremely robust and powerful, then I would consider it a better product. When comparing Drupal vs. Joomla, I look at it in terms of robustness, flexibility, and back-end power. Drupal wins in that category. If Joomla was just as robust as Drupal while maintaining the user friendly aspect of it, I would even consider Joomla a better product.

User friendliness is important, but not as important as the engine powering the product. Then again, you have to take a step back and also look at who's going to be updating the site. Drupal back-end can be user friendly as long as you assign the permissions so the administration interface doesn't look so cumbersome. Plus there are modules and tools available that will add toolbars to make things more user friendly from a visual perspective.

And I really doubt those guys choose Windows over Linux because it's "easier".