Why shouldn't I get an iPhone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by notwist, Sep 18, 2008.

1. notwist

notwist Active Member

I'm thinking about replacing my cellphone after some 4 years. Any reasons why I wouldn't want to get an iPhone 3G?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I own one, I love it, but here's the cons IMO.

No MMS

K thats all.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you know, tons of people harp on the lack of cut and paste, but this is a much bigger deal IMO. there are too many phones out there that can't send email (or can't send them easily) that forcing people to use email instead of allowing MMS means that more likely than not a friend is going to MMS you a cell phone pic and you've got to jump through hoops to get it.

but, i've been riding the fence for a while myself. i was waiting for the 2.1 firmware fixes, but it still doesn't sound stable enough for me to pull the trigger. i did hear it is tons better though.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

the only times I've ever had stability problems are when I jailbreak it.

keep it stock and you should be good to go. :coold:

5. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

No copy/paste, no MMS, no tethering and battery life are on my gripes list, but regardless, I <3 my iPhone.

If you're prone to dropping phones (a LOT) then you're better off w/ something else then :cool:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I prefer to have a phone to make calls on and a tiny laptop to surf the net with. I can also run any app I want on a laptop, whether or not Apple likes it.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Good. Now STFU. How does your post help the OP?

I never liked MMS because from my experience, most people just send you stupid pics, animated gifs, "funny" videos and other crap. Copy/Paste, never had a need for it, so no complaints there.

That being said I love my iPhone 3G. The general consensus is that most people do. Beats carrying a phone and a media player. I take mine to the gym, use it for music when I'm riding my motorcycle & I can answer calls while i'm riding.

Works great with Mobile Me. All your info is synced over the air. I'm on a trial with Mobile Me till December, but I already plan on paying for the yearly subscription.

I don't use a case with mine, as it is mostly in my pocket, unless I'm at the gym, then I use an arm band.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I will be very surprised if apple doesn't release copy paste itself or allow applications to be run in the background, permitting program writers to make a copy/paste application that works everywhere.

That being said, I disagree with the last part. I've got the Flip case that the apple store sells, and I've dropped mine at least 4 or 5 times from hear height (I'm 5'10" so that's a big drop) onto concrete and I've yet to have any problems.

completely agree with this, I've had no problems with mine except for when I jailbroke it.

I do agree lack of MMS sucks, I'm a new college student and I've had a bunch of people tell me they're sending me pictures and I never get them.

That being said, 2.1 is amazing. I think the update has made a HUGE improvement in speed of the OS (it now operates like it should, like it does in commercials and such), load times (iCal and Contacts used to take forever to load, and I've only got around 200 contacts. Now it's super quick), and battery life. I use my phone a lot, Mail reloads every 15 minutes, I'm on WiFi constantly (campus wide WiFi ftw), I use the iPod at least an hour or two a day, am constantly looking up random stuff on the internet, and I probably spend 20-40 minutes a day actually talking, and then send around 70-100 texts a day.

Before the update I had to charge at least once daily, sometimes even twice :ugh:. I'm now running on the same charge from about 24 hours ago, the catch is I still have at bit over half of my charge left.

Buy an iPhone. You'll love it.

9. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

From a service standpoint, are you guys happy w/ AT&T?

I've been w/ Verizon for over 10 years now (Bell Atlantic Mobile :o ). I want an iphone for it's capability regardless though.

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

100%

I guess it does vary by location in the U.S. though, but the only problems I've EVER had with AT&T as far as dropped calls were like a week and a half ago when a tower went down here in Bloomington and all of AT&T's service was terrible for like 3 or 4 days. After that was taken care of it's been amazing.

11. dmora

dmora Guest

safari crashes on me a lot, but i like browsting threads with lots of images. (boobies) :o

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:werd: People can say that their service is the best and they have never had dropped calls, the best customer service, etc.. But it all varies by location.

I'm glad the iPhone is with AT&T, as I would never get Verizon or Sprint. For me it's all about GSM. I'd like the option of swapping sim cards to a different phone of my choice. GSM is the system of use in most countries around the world.

I'm military flight crew, so I'd like for my phone to work wherever I travel to. The minutes may not be cheap, but it's nice to have the convenience of making calls without having to wait in line at some military call center.

Either way, get the iPhone, you'll love it.

13. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I haven't got one because a phone is a phone and my SE K800i does the job :hs: And the contract is like a million £ a month on an iPhone.

They are so fun though. I never had a go on one til the other day in an O2 store. I can't believe the screen on that thing :cool:

14. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

:cool:

Thanks for that insight, that was my only concern. I'll just man up and switch.

15. notwist

notwist Active Member

No MMS doesn't bother me. Are there any options for cases that don't significantly increase the size? I was a bit worried about the coverage area but I checked the ATT website and it seems there is a signal pretty much for every major city. So jailbreaking is a bad idea?

16. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

17. audrey

audrey New Member

I'm also disappointed about the battery life but I have been told it improves?

I <3 my iphone 3G so much I want to quit my job and seel iphones.
    :mamoru:

18. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

have you updated to 2.1? I've noticed that battery is a lot better after updating

19. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Can't change the battery if you're a power user, like myself. Hell, I didn't know Iphone's couldn't accept MMS. I sent my friend one yesterday. No wonder he didn't respond. We were dissecting a cat in anatomy, and he missed lab.

No tethering. Damn convenient when you travel and you dont want to fork out $15 a night for internet. TomTom GPS on windows mobile kills.

Iphone>windows mobile stock
    windows mobile > iphone if you mess with your phone.

I almost forgot. You get the whole internet on windows mobile with flash and java. Iphone can't even go to NBA.com

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

There is a solution for that. And where are you staying at overnight that doesn't provide free internet? Most if not all major hotels offer complimentary internet access.

21. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

i'm pretty sure you can tether with JB phone

22. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

Like Dr. Smooth said you can tether with a JB iphone, but half of the time hotels I've been to have a charge for internet (usally it's more like 5 bucks) and the other half they don't, but there are a lot of times where the wireless is totally shitty.

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i've found any free wireless access to be shitty in hotels. when traveling with business i always tried to go to a place where you had to pay. :)

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

What hotels are you guys staying at? Every hotel I've stayed at has had internet access that worked great, wether wireless or not. My employer, ahem Uncle Sam, gives us travel cards. Hotel(including 5 star), food, drinks, gas, strip club money, all on the govt's tab. ;)

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

is the iPhone still hard to get? do you have to wait a week or can you walk in and get one right away now?