Why shouldnt i get a Mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fareo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i hear a lot of positive stuff like, Macs use their power more efficiently and you can get less virus's and spyware on a Mac and Macs are great for musicians but whats the downside?

heres the skinny

Been PC my whole life
    I use my PC for Internet browsing and Recording Guitar
    I dont game on my PC or plan to
    Just recently bought a 19" monitor
    have a logitech keyboard/mouse/speakers

i was looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-min...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263771039&sr=8-2

since i dont need it to do much?

also what about small details like i understand you can get MSword on a mac and if i have word file from work and i bring it home will it work on the mac version of word or is it a different file? what would be the horror stories of switching from a PC to Mac?

:dunno:

2. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

Mac's are just eaiser to use. The commercials and all that you see are right. They just work. If you have a apple store close to you I would advise to just go in and try it out. A mac mini is a good inexpensive way to get into the mac world. I have had my macbook for 2 years now and I love it. First one I have ever owned. The newest version of Word has a built in converter for works. Honestly there arent really any horror stories that I can think of. Garage band is a pretty user friendly program that works to just lay down guitar tracks.

I would suggest to go to an apple store if you can and try one out. and then go from there.

3. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

If the Mini is powerful enough for you, get it. If you don't like OS X, install Windows on it and you have a PC.

4. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

LOL at the first response. I have 3 Macs at home. Get off the damn Apple crack.

PCs and Macs have their advantages and disadvantages...IMO, it depends on what you're looking to do with it. For music, the PC has more programs, but if you're looking for something pretty, the Mac will win.

In terms of viruses and malware, it's all about popularity. Virus writers won't write many viruses or malware for Macs until they become more popular. There isn't any money to be made in Macs for them right now since the same amount of work for a virus on a PC can generate lots more money.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The pros and cons vary person to person. What will be one person's pro will be another person's con.

Honestly, get a used Intel Mac Mini and try it for yourself. If you like it, keep it or upgrade. If you don't, you can honestly turn around and sell it for the same price.

Things work well between the two platforms, but sometimes you do the same thing differently. What may be easier on a PC may be harder on a Mac and vise versa.

I was a die hard PC person who used to say "fuck Macs" but after buying a used laptop about 7 years ago, I wasn't impressed. My PC was stolen out of my garage and all I had was my laptop. It was all I had, so I learned to use it and grew to love it. Now, I can't stand using PC's. But it truly takes using one for extended periods of time to understand which one fits you better.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

honestly, the only flaw of the mac is the lack of games, but since you don't play games, i don't think it'll matter much...

anything you can do on a pc, you can do on a mac... it's just down to preference of which os you like to use...

both systems have pros and cons, personally, i prefer to deal with apple faults more than microsoft ones...

7. Fareo

Fareo New Member

maybe i should get a mac mini and try to keep my emachine alive so that i can have both if needed?

8. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

I switched to a mac when the mini was first introduced. I liked it enough that I upgraded my mini for the intel switch. I just bought a i7 iMac, the mini runs plex so I can watch movies/TV while I train. I keep windows on a bootcamp partition and have vmware, because all bullshit aside there is no substitute for the windows version of the MS office suite if you have to share files.

All the OSes have their ups and downs. I heavily considered moving to windows for win7. Ultimately, to me, the nitpicks I have about OSX are less than the nitpicks I have with windows.

I vote give it a try, you may not like it.

9. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

This is absolute bullshit. Macs don't have any viruses because they're more secure, not because they're less popular. If somebody wrote one widespread virus for OS X, all of the Apple haters would cream themselves because they could say "SEE MACS ARE JUST AS INSECURE AS WINDOWS LOL SEE TOLD YOU." Why do you think Linux has viruses even though it's much less popular than OS X? OS 9 had viruses too.

Hell, even if it were true that popularity is the only reason Macs don't have viruses, who gives a shit? They still don't have them either way.

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

hate to burst your bubble, but mac's do have viruses and trojan... tons of them, not as many as a windows pc, but enough to make your life unhappy for a while...

difference is, on a mac, you can't "catch" a virus, you can't have someone email a file to you or go to a website and have it come on to your system...

for you to get a virus, you literally need to install it yourself, as in run an installer package or run a hijacked piece of software/batch file, chance are you'll have to put the password to get it installed as well. if you do all that with shady software, then it's your fault...

it's not easy to get a virus on a mac, but don't kid yourself, they are out there.

11. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

That's what a trojan is, isn't it? I don't think it's called a virus if you have to authenticate and install it yourself.

12. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

like i said... you can't "catch" a virus or malware or a trojan or whatever you want to call it, you need to install it yourself...
    there is no self replicating system hopping baddy on the mac...

13. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

So yeah basically there's no viruses for the Mac. Just trojans, which are unavoidable on any system.

14. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Okay okay...

Shits like you make me hate admitting to the general public that I own Macs. Brainwashed beyond belief and only believe what you want...

15. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

I'm not saying Macs are perfect and that everybody should own one and there's nothing wrong with them. Notice in my first post in this thread I said that the OP should just try out OS X, and if he doesn't like it, he can switch back to Windows. Macs have plenty of problems too, and I don't deny that. Hell, Leopard was a buggy unstable mess and I was about to switch to a Windows/Linux PC before the new iMacs came out.

I'm just saying that it's complete bullshit that Macs are only more secure because they're less popular. It's simply not true. But of course, since you have no logical argument against it, you resort to calling me a brainwashed fanboy.

16. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

90% of everything does NOT run on a Mac. I had to return my notebook after finding this out.

No wonder almost everyone uses a PC. It's shittier, yes, but at least there's a HUGE support!

17. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

details of what doesn't work?

18. Fareo

Fareo New Member

ya details..

and im probably not gonna use 85% of that 90 anyways bro.. :o

19. not-so-subtle thread

not-so-subtle thread New Member

I've used PC (Dos/Win) all my life. This goes back to DOS 6.22

Recently bought a Mac Mini ... it is FUCKING EASY TO USE.

"Polished" is the most apt word to the describe the operating system and experience.

On a new Windows installation I have a personal script/"workflow" of utilities, plug-ins, tweaks, patches, drivers, updates, to download/run/apply. On a Mac I hit the power button, answer a few questions, and am straight up-and-running.

Im not a "convert". I still own 2 PCs (that I actually use more often) due to some things that I'm hardwired to. But for the 90% of the population that just surfs the webs and work with common multimedia (music, photos, videos), it is a great OS.

Neither is better. But I would say OSX is by far sleeker.

edit: specific example
    1) built in ichat already supports gchat, yahoo, aim, etc
    no need for 3rd party app
    2) open mac mail and plug in my gmail login and it downloads my inbox.
    i didnt have to browse for pop3 or imap server names or do any configuration
    3) hook up my new camera and import photos straight into iphoto, resize, and has options to publish directly to a webpage, online photo album, popular services like flickr, etc.
    didnt have to download irfanview/mspaintnet and an ftp client to upload images (or stick with shitty windows apps)
    4) soulseek is available. utorrent is available. openoffice is available. chrome is available. firefox is available. thats as far as the personal software i need.... (although safari works damn fine)

far as security, i havent caught a virus or spyware in years on my PC running raw without firewall or antivirus or any other defense junk. point moot

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I have been using a Mac for over 6 years now and have yet to run into a situation where I wasn't able to find a comparable program. Just because there is a wealth of software out there for Windows, and about 5% of that is actually worth a shit, does not make either platform better than the other.

21. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I made the switch a few years and would never go back. I never had too many problems with PCs, but I never loved them like I do my Macs.

22. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

i consistently run both mac and pc.

i find myself using the mac more often then my pc. (pc is quad core xeon, 4gb ram, dual raptors, 4870x2, etc) and my mac is a $1999 model unibody mbp.

aside from gaming (which i do on consoles, now, & the fact that I can run windows via bootcamp or vmware), there is nothing I cant do on my mac...

so it really depends on what you need...

23. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

only reason is if you are a hardcore pc gamer...I switched to a Mac and started gaming on a PS3 and couldn't be happier.

24. Fareo

Fareo New Member

bought the $799 mac mini, thanks for the help guys :hug:

this shits smoking fast :cool: