A&P Why shouldn't I get a Canon PowerShot S80?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Left, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Left

Left Lakers Fan For Life!

Okay. I'm looking for your guys expertise here. Perhaps you can lead me in the right direction.

First off, I of course want something they don't make. I want an awesome digital camera, capable of everything from point-and-shoot to DSLR manual features in a ultra compact design. Okay, bare with me, I know it doesn't exist.

With that pipedream said, I guess what I really want is just an extremely good point-n-shoot digicam that has numerous manual features should I want to use them.

To be honest, anything out on the market right now would be great for me, because my current digicam is old and outdated. I have a Canon S100. Awesome little camera. I still love it, but I just want better quality pictures and the ablity to manually do somet stuff. I paid nearly $500 for the S100 a few years ago and it's still going strong. I'm just tired of low quality photos. I can't even use my photos as wallpaper anymore because the resolution is too low with my new widescreen LCD. Hell, my cell phone is only slightly less megapixals than this old digicam. (1.3 vs. 2.1)

Anyways, with all that said, I've been doing some reading and the Canon PowerShot S80 looks like it would fit my needs and wants. Why shouldn't I consider this digicam?

Cliff Notes (since I wrote a novel): I need to upgrade my Canon S100, why shouldn't I consider the S80?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

most of the powershots (if not all) have pretty reasonable manual features, so you wont be disapointed unless you are trading down from an slr.

3. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

i have an A620 and love it..... but its bigger than the s80

4. Left

Well, I want smaller. I'm coming from a Elph, the S100. I still want a pocket camera, I just want a REALLY good pocket camera.

I'll probably get a 1GB SD card if I get this camera, should I be looking at any minimum speeds? 50x? 133x?

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

nope doesnt really matter, the faster the better if the camera supports it, but the only time you really notice is with continuous shooting or movies.

6. Left

I think I've convinced myself into buying a different camera.

I'm afraid the S80 might be too large for actual pocket use, which is what I've always loved about my S100. I actually take more pictures, because it's always with me. I haven't had a chance to look at the S80 in person yet though.

I really like this SD630. The screen on it is massive (3.0 inches) and it's actually a hair thinner than my S100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd630.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022109canonsd600.asp

The major downside is it doesn't come out until late May, and I really was thinking about buying a new camera before my trip to Tahoe in late April.

My other option is the SD600. Same exact camera, but only a 2.5 inch screen. No viewfinder, but I've never used the one on my S100, partly because the pictures weren't centered correctly when I did use it. It's available now and for a good price too. Under $300 shipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I just suck it up and wait for the SD630. I think it may be the right camera for me. :hs:

Comments, thoughts, complaints, criticisms?

7. Left

:mad: Reply!

You all suck.

8. s2ktonv

s2ktonv Active Member

I am loving that one, but I just recently purchased an A520 :hs:

9. Left

Which? :o

10. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

i bought an s80 cuz i wanted the wideangle, and the 500/550's were a bit small for my fingers(the buttons)...

the wheel on the side of the s80 solves that

11. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

SD600 ftw

12. Left

I bought the SD630, the one with the 3" screen. Same specs as the SD600. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. :coold:

13. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

tell us how it is. my mom is *considering* one (although probably just looking around without a huge intent in buying)