GUN Why should I not standardize on 44 magnum as my heavy cartridge?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlassUser, Aug 11, 2009.

1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

It's not like I'm going to be super sniper man, plopping off arms at a mile and a half with my 50 BMG rifle. 7.62 NATO is great, but it's for big rifles only. With the 44 mag I have a great selection of rifles (including lever action, like the marlin 1894ss :drool:) and handguns. Apparently you can even effectively take out bears with 44 mag.

2. Why shouldn't you? Because the external ballistics are awful (and I'm sure at even medium ranges the terminal ballistics are awful too), it can be stopped by lots more vests than a rifle round, and I doubt you can find a semi-auto rifle that can use it.

Those are the three biggest reasons I can think of, but I'm sure I can come up with more.

3. GlassUser

Ruger's first rifle was a 44 magnum semi.

The ballistics suck, yeah, but it's good to 100 yards easy.

4. Ok, so for 100 it's ok for anti-human use. I just ran the ballistics, but it still won't penetrate even decent armor and after 100 it starts dropping fast.

Does anyone still make semi .44 rifles? I'm just thinking in a situation where you need to fire lots of rounds, 30 per mag in an AR platform is hard to beat.

5. GlassUser

The AR is nice, but I don't know if I'd trust the 30s. And if I'm going to shoot a heavy rifle, I want 308 or nothin'.

6. Don't trust the 30's? They're the most common mag used, and they work perfectly fine. As far as "heavy" my AR with a light, rail, optic, backup irons, and spare light batteries in the grip weighs UNDER 8.5 pounds with a loaded 30 round mag.

7. GlassUser

I meant heavy as in something that shoots a real bullet at a real velocity for real rifle work. Figurative, not literal.

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

having one cartridge means you have to make a lot of compromises.

9. There are actually advantages to the 5.56 vs the .308 depending on your use.

10. GlassUser

True. But you can't carry around an entire armory everywhere you go.

I'm thinking that if I had to GTFO and could only carry one kind of ammo, the 44 mag would be a better compromise than the 9 mm, even with the glock and carbine.

11. GlassUser

You always have to make compromises.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

These treads are pretty stupid. People make them and then don't want to hear anything other than what they want to do.

There is nothing wrong in standardizing on a select few calibers. You don't have to have a good reason for it and have others approve. The fact that you have several other guns in that caliber or it's the caliber you like to shoot is good enough.

If you want to standize for the reason of a shtf situation and want to have something you can get if things get bad then it's just makes sense to use a common caliber that police and military use like 9mm, 40, 223 and 12 guage.

13. GlassUser

You learn more when you talk your way through disagreements.

But yeah, I already have a 9 mm handgun, and have a carbine on the way.

14. You can't carry an armory, but you can certainly carry a pistol and a rifle. Common calibers and available replacement parts for guns are what is important. I've got my .40 cal Glock and my 5.56 AR. I honestly can't think of any advantage to something like a lever action .44 over my AR.

15. GlassUser

Carrying the same ammo that your handgun shoots isn't up there?

16. No. I can easily carry a few hundred 5.56 and plenty of .40 I sure as hell wouldn't choose a less effective and less versatile rifle caliber just so I could use its ammo in my pistol.

17. GlassUser

What about reloading? You'd need twice the amount of tools and supplies.

18. You need the same amount of supplies, you just need different supplies. What are you worried about reloading for? If you're going somewhere and you're worried about consolidating your ammo to carry then you likely won't be bringing reloading supplies or anything.

19. GlassUser

You also have to keep the right ratios (eg how much do you shoot your handguns versus your rifles?). I'm "worried" about reloading because it's cheaper and I can fine tune my cartridges if I like.

20. Wait, so you're talking about reloading just in a normal situation, not bugging out or anything? Shit, reloading for 2 cartridges is nothing.

21. GlassUser

Both.

22. Well, in a standard situation loading for 2 different cartridges is no problem at all. If I'm bugging out, I'm not going to take a bunch of reloading stuff with me either way, so I'm not too concerned about it.

23. GlassUser

Yeah that's a good point, you won't get far humping a reloading bench.

24. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Lack of penetration is a pretty big deal IMHO. You should use rifle rounds for rifle work, handgun rounds for handgun work. 44 mag is a handgun round, albeit a big handgun round (in my opinion).

Being able to penetrate armor at 100 yard or less, be fired quickly in a confined environment, be light weight enough to carry a decent amount of ammo, and poke holes in man sized targets at 500 yards makes me like 5.56/5.45 rifles.

Making 44mag do everything is akin to making 9mm do everything. Why don't you just carry a Beretta 92, and a Beretta CX4 carbine so you can have even more parts commonality? You're making a pretty big compromise by standardizing around 1 caliber. I'd compromise less by going with a common pistol/rifle caliber, but that's just my opinion

25. GlassUser

Lack of penetration? They regularly go through deer at a hundred yards.

The 9 mm doesn't have anywhere near the force.

As to the rifle work at rifle ranges... yeah. Hard to touch that with a pistol caliber carbine.