Why should I keep my t61 laptop instead of selling then buying an ultraportable?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bPol, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bPol

bPol OT Supporter

What makes a normal laptop around $750 worth 2x more than an ultraportable laptop? I'm thinking about selling my Lenovo t61 for the Lenovo S10. I rarely even use my t61 since I have a computer, and when I come back home from school without my computer I only really just need the internet at home.

2. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Power? Screen realestate? Hard drive space? Graphics performance?
    Main thing I see is screen size.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i would feel them out first. not all netbooks are created equal and some may be literally too small for some.

if you do plan to buy, use slickdeals and fatwallet to get your bargain as all netbooks seem to be on sale

4. bPol

bPol OT Supporter

my t61 only has like 60g of space so the S10 would have about the same if not more. The graphics on the t61 is integrated so it's not amazing or anything. It does however have 2gb of ram... and I guess the screen size would be a huge difference. I just see this Lenovo S10 for $300 on dealnews and it's really tempting.

5. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I think the lenovo netbook models only come with 3 cell batteries. Make sure you get a netbook/ultraportable with at least a 6 or 9 cell. Most likely a six. Otherwise the battery life won't e worth it.

6. bovine

bovine New Member

Yeah, I like Lenovo in general (I have a Y510 and two thinkpads ), but I think it's outclassed for the moment as far as netbooks go. I would wait for what's coming around the bend in February/March. Dell is supposed to release the mini 10 sometime in February and HP is supposed to release the 780p HD version of the 2140 soon as well. I think both of those netbooks would make you deeply regret getting an s10 so soon to their release.

Google "Dell mini 10" and "HP mini 2140" and you'll see that it would be silly to get an S10 right now.

7. bovine

bovine New Member

What I love about the current Dell mini 9 is that it's completely solid state. It dissipates heat through a heat spreader and has no fan. You can get a Dell mini 9 for $400 w/o a deal w/ a 64gb SSD or you can buy the 4gb version for $250 and upgrade it with a (much faster) RunCore 64gb SSD for a tiny bit more.

I don't know what it is, but I simply love the idea of no moving parts in a laptop. I hope the mini 10 offers solid state and is still fanless.

8. ady

ady New Member

I'd have a hard time believing the S10 was anywhere near the build quality of a T61. Basically you aren't going to get as much power and performance from a netbook.

Netbooks are great if they can do all you want, but don't expect to enjoy working on any serious projects on them.

9. bPol

bPol OT Supporter

Yeah I did some research and already decided to get the 2140 :wiggle: