GUN why should i join the NRA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I'm not a member.. Why should I become one?
    To me its just another list saying "He may own a gun":ugh2:

Now if i got legal assistance if i ever shot someone, i woudl join.. but otherwise why ?

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

you shouldnt.. save the money for ammo

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

the reason i joined was to help fight the SF gun ban. Im not sure why you should join, but you get discounts on hotels and rental cars, and gun insurance is great.

4. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

If you like constant phone calls to your house you should join up immediately.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I get constant phone calls to my house, anyway :wtc:

6. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I joined for the magazine subscription, plus I thought maybe the $25 would help against anti-gun laws. Granted, it wouldn't help much, but oh well. They never call me, but I get letters and surveys every now and then.

7. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

ive never been called either. Many letters, but thats it.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm still undecided on the overall effectiveness of the NRA. They are the big dog and really the only dog as far as the pro-gun lobby goes. http://www.nra-ila.org/News/Archives/Releases.aspx They help alot of people with getting ranges going and keeping ranges going apparently, and push for youth involvement.

I also think they're a bulky organization that spend way more money on advertising, hats, magazines, and other truck stop crap than I'd like. But unless GOA or something gets bigger, they are the largest thing on your side.

9. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

I like American Rifleman :dunno:

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

The NRA helps somewhat, im sure stuff wouldnt be where it was without them, but the majority of their thinking is hunting. Again, a large group of internet people wanted help to repeal the NFA or 1986 ban portion of the FOPA. They basically said no. In fact I think they actually offered up auto weapons in a compromise with liberals.

I know that I won't give them my money.

*shrug*

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

because they do a lot of good stuff, and are a voice for gun owners.

a lot of people bash them, say they compromise, yada yada, I just wouldnt want to think where we would be without them.

hence my measly $25 a year contribution

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Here's the deal about the NRA:

Without the NRA, there would essentially be no private ranges in the US. Almost ALL of them are open due to the NRA. The insurance alone is the biggest obstacle to a private range, and they are almost all insured through the NRA. The NRA provides COMPLETE plans and blueprints for building indoor ranges. They facilitate the opening of new facilities, rather than just sitting by and letting all the older ones close down over time.

The NRA also provides $1000 insurance, automatically, to its members to cover the loss of firearms due to theft/fire/whatever. For many firearm owners, this is HUGE, because they may only have one or two firearms, and that $1000 is instrumental in replacing a home defense gun or two. For me, that wouldn't even cover my AR and all the crap I've got on it, but it'd certainly buy me a new Bushmaster to start over again.

The NRA actually gets things done. Unlike GOA, politicians actually LISTEN to the NRA. The people in charge of the NRA realize that when it comes to firearms legislation, we weren't fucked in one fell swoop, and we won't get all of our rights back in one fell swoop either. Short of an armed revolution, the only way we're going to win them back is piece by piece, law by law. It might take a LONG time, but think about it: gun control has been going on for over 70 years now. We're actually starting to reverse it now. It's a slow process, and the NRA is the one organization that can and will stay strong throughout the long haul.

GOA is more of a fringe group in the eyes of politicians. They demand what amounts to complete reversal of everything NOW. That will never happen, and any politician would be committing career suicide by running on that kind of platform. Inch by inch is how the democrats took our rights, and it's how we've got to win them back. What's sad is that the NRA is actually tiny in comparison to the actual number of firearm owners in the US. Think about how much more pull the NRA would have if most of the firearm owners in America actually kept up memberships.

Defending the 2nd Amendment is a tough fight. There are a lot of politics involved that people don't think about when they're bitching about why nothing is being done. They're impatient, and rightly so. We shouldn't have lost those rights in the first place. But for now, the NRA is the only big, bad dude in town that can even HOPE to take on the bully that keeps stealing our lunch money. It may seem like they're sitting down on the job sometimes, but you've got to remember that politics is a game in and of itself. You have to play a certain way sometimes to be able to win in the end. While it may appear that nothing is being done on the surface, the NRA is always working underneath to get things done.

That said, I'm not yet a member. I need to be, though. The insurance alone is worth it.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I haven't gotten any phone calls.

I've gotten maybe 3 letters in the mail in the past 5 months... Two of them being stuff I requested and one of them inviting me to a local "town hall" meeting to talk to a local NRA rep about the NO gun confiscation.

I joined because they may not do every little thing everyone wants but they are still doing stuff. It'snot any better than sitting behind your computer bitching about the NRA but not putting money into any pro-gun organization.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

:bowdown:

15. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

There was one point I swear every other day I had a phone call for someone wanting a survey or a recording of LaPierre spouting something.

Now they're down to once a week.

16. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Good fucking answer :bowdown:

That probably just convinced me to join :bigthumb:

17. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

footrat hit the nail on the head..

and guys, dont pay $35..

go to www.gunsnet.net/forums , on the left there is a link to join the NRA for only $25 :eek3:

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

or you could just become a life member?

I can't think of many things in the world that we enjoy that weren't reached through comprimise. Except for the ass whoopage dished out in wars.

19. Ice Dildo

Ice Dildo New Member

I didn't know about the insurance. That is a good enough reason to join.:bigthumb:

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Glad I could help.