GUN Why should I clean my gun ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

OK.. I know the damn M16 jams like a son bitch if you dont keep it clean but my XD SC now has 4500 rounds without being cleaned and it still works.. Accuracy, to the best of my knowledge, is the same..

So if a gun doesnt jam, should I clean it? and why ?

2. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

To keep it from pitting and so that you can properly oil the parts while you are at it. To keep it operating perfectly. I clean my guns after each use, and always wipe them down with a rag after handling them alot.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

because a gun can be a tool and tools need need to be maintained.

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Because Hoppe's No 9 smells pretty good, and won't wash off your hands for a day.

5. Accord

Accord New Member

If it's just a range gun, it doesn't really matter, but if it's your carry gun you should clean it after everytime you shoot it to make sure that is stays clean and reliable when you god forbid might need it to save your life.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Consider it preventative maintenance. Why do you change the oil in your car?
    When in Iraq I made it a habit to clean my weapons every night even if they were never fired that day because I didn't want the first failure to happen when I suddenly turn a corner and see a couple terrorists with AKs standing there. The sand would get into everything. At home, I usually clean them every other weekend just to make sure they were at 100%. habit.

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

And if you ever decide to sell it, you can tell them that it was always cleaned and oiled after use. Shows that the gun was well cared for

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I clean for peace of mind, although I liek Aequitas's answer better.... :-D

Seriously though, you paid a lot of money for a high wuality (i hope) tool that should last far more than one lifetime with proper care. You should give it that care. even if it doesn't rust in the time between cleanings, if you shoot it, you will end up with deposits in the barrel that will encourage corrosion, this will lead to a gun that is a POS.

Seriously though, why have a gun and not keep it clean? I have let my cleaning regiment slide at times, but I always clean guns after use, or maybe every other if I got to the range frequently at times. I prefer to clean every time but I decided to let them get a little dirty once to see if any rumors were true about super-compacts having issues with not being clean as all the doubters say. (none BTW...)

But DEF if it is a gun you may EVEr rely on for defencce, keep it CLEAN! Is it really worth your life to not take the 20 mins out of your time to clean it?

9. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I was just playing devils advocate.. I dont have a sub compact :)

I like the responses!

10. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

i'm hoping to purchase my first handgun in the next month or so, is there a good website or book i can buy that teaches how to properly clean a gun?

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Its differnet with each gun, just read the book that comes with it and it will show you. Or find a user group like glocktalk etc for your gun and you will get help there.