Why should I care about RSS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 20, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't understand the appeal of RSS. Partly that's because I have no idea how to use it, why to use it, or what the advantages are of using RSS instead of just visiting the websites I check regularly. Can someone give me a brief overview of what the hell it's good for?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

instead of having to "check" the website, it gives you a newsgroup/email feel... basically like getting an "email" with "what's changed".

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Let's say you visit Slashdot but you don't normally read every article, maybe you only stick to one section of the site and that's it.
    With the RSS feed you can not only keep up with going in there but maybe an article form another section catches your eye.

I use it for sites that I watch/listen to podcasts with. With the feed I can see if there is a new podcast released for me to watch/listen to instead of going to the site over and over to see if there is anything new.

I also use it here to see what new topics are going on in OT.
    I have one feed for the PC chat here, another for the MacShack and one that is OT in general.

Slickdeals RSS feed keeps me up one what deals they have listed and if I see one I like I'll then visit the site and if not then there's no point of going there.

I also use a FF extension called Sage, so instead of just see the feed as bookmarks as FF does normally, I have a sidebar that gives me the headlines for each feed and then can create page showing more details to the feed in case of video or audio feeds I can click on a link that'll start them without having to do to the site and starting them there.

4. deusexaethera

Hmm. Not sure I want to be that passive about my web browsing. Nonetheless, at least I know what the hell it is now.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I use objectdock, and one of the docklets you can use is an rss feed with your choice of Yahoo News, The Register, WIred News, Gamespot Updates, or custom.

I used to be able to get The Register and Wired News, but they stopped working.

But it was cool to be able to mouse over the icon, and see what was in there.

6. deusexaethera

Try Rainmeter instead. It has an RSS option, as I recall.

I used to have ObjectDock too. I had my machine set up just like Mac OSX, with one of the icons programmed to open a Start Menu and everything. It lasted a month before I got sick of the incompatibilities. Of course, that was four years ago.

7. Doc Brown

With the exception of the rss feeder, the new one works great.

I've got a shortcut for just about everything I need in there, even a weather feeder.

For me, a lot of the fun was finding the coolest icon that I can for each shortcut. That's where my detail freakishness comes out. I took days on that.

:mamoru:

8. deusexaethera

I spent weeks hunting down icons, myself. But in the end I decided to just go back to the good old reliable Start Bar.

9. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

RSS is a lot more useful for web development IMO. Automated content makes things a lot easier. But ya, i don't really use it for personal use.

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I think you have to start using RSS to really get it. I'd recommend Google Reader, it even recommends RSS feeds based on what you've decided to describe to. For example, since I'm subscribed to a bunch of GNU/Linux and Mozilla feeds, it recommends I notice today planet.freedesktop.org. Sometimes it can have some really spot on recommendations, I think it's becuase how blogs and talkback work or maybe it's just Google's search technology, I don't know.

Anyhow that isn't even the real benefit. But I was never, ever one for going over my latest bookmarks to see what's new, because most of them are just pages of information that doesn't change. I subscribe to the RSS feeds of many interesting blogs and sites that I would never afford to check occasionally.

11. mrj

mrj New Member

I never use RSS, I'm ADD enough, I don't need a constant flow of shit-posts on forums/news feeds distracting me more than I distract myself by visting them once an hour.

Of course, the added benefit is that you can typically view the post directly through the feed reader, and don't have to visit the site.. but, still, ADD.

12. deusexaethera

My second-grade teacher thought I had ADD. She wanted to have me put in Ritalin. She was also convinced I was mentally retarded.

She sure was surprised when the IQ test came back 147 -- turns out she was just old and boring, and I was goofing off in class because I was bored to tears.

13. mrj

mrj New Member

Most ADD people are highly intelligent, but their interest in things lasts hours or days at most, until they're wanting to move onto other endeavors.

To learn things, I have to cram as much as possible into my "interested" days, because after that I'll go weeks of not wanting to touch it.

Example; Last week, on Monday, I was completely engulfed by Maya and spent hours rigging an animation, the next day I was obsessed with world-build process of my novella, the next day I was attempting to draw manga mechs and Warhammer characters, the next day, poetry.

It's like a weekly cycle, but instead of getting bored and moving on to something else, I get completely disgusted in something and don't want to touch it again for a month.

I don't know how long I've been fucking trying to finish my Python and Perl programming books.

14. Doc Brown

Yeah, but when I say days, I mean like 2-3 hours a day for almost a week.

:eek3:

15. Doc Brown

<<< 140 IQ.

I had the same thing happen in second grade. It took me literally 1/4 of the time to read my assignments than the rest of the class. So the teacher constantly would accuse me of not reading the assignment.
    Then she started having me read out loud, and realized that I could read out loud faster than the other kids read to themselves.
    The other kids would yell at me to slow down.

And at that point, I had only been speaking english for a bit less than 3 years.

:mamoru: