Why Porsche GmBH may well house the most accomplished engineers in the world

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by art_VW_shark, Nov 11, 2009.

1. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

Plenty of stuff rocks. People love their iPhones, love what most consider average-thin and sleek laptops, like the HP Envy 13, and the regular Macbook.
    Sometimes, however, companies put out products that simply challenge our assumptions about what something can do. The Macbook Air-overpriced, underpowered? Sure. But there is no doubt about it-it will go down in history as a technological marvel. It is as thin as some of the earlier flashdrives. Where am I getting at?
    The Panamera Turbo undeniably falls in this category. Is it porky? Sure. Does it probably gulp fuel? Mmhm. Ugly? Up for debate-not ruled. But this car is...incredible.
    ...loading
    Browse posts by:

Make/ModelVehicle Style/Type
    All Categories
    Features Close Features Car and Driver runs Porsche Panamera Turbo in The 24 Hours of Dayton

by Jonny Lieberman (RSS feed) on Nov 11th 2009 at 10:58AM
    [​IMG]
    Porsche Panamera Turbo - click above for high-res image gallery

That's Dayton, as in Ohio. Never heard of that race? We have, but only because we had Car and Driver's head cheese Eddie Alterman on our esteemable podcast the other week and he mentioned it. What is the 24 Hours of Dayton? Let's let C/D explain:
    "A Brumos Porsche won the 2009 24 Hours of Daytona. We couldn't even summon the entry fees for that race, so we invented an event, the 24 Hours of Dayton, in which we were the first entry, the last entry, the only entry."
    Get it? If you don't, C/D rounded up three editors and decided to run a series of 356 mile laps around Dayton, thereby inventing (and dominating) the first ever 24 hour race. You can also be fairly certain this particular race is also the last ever.

As far as the Panamera Turbo is concerned, all the racers (fine, drivers) were quite impressed, repeatedly waxing poetic about how the big four-door Porsche kicks the BMW 7 Series and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in the you know where. Hard, too. One editor hit 190 mph – with someone in the backseat! Another noted how 100 mph came up all too frequently when entering a freeway, eliciting at least one middle finger. All three were taken aback by the Panamera's luxurious interior. The numbers they collected – stuff like 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds – are startling, leading C/D to speculate that the turbo'd Panamera might be a wee bit underrated in the power department. Also: assicles. But you're going to have to read the article to figure that one out.

The bolded stats, in 1994, were considered revolutionary. In fact, only the McLaren could hit them, if I recall correctly. Perhaps the F50.

And this car looks like a shoe, seats 4 from what I gather comfortably, and can be streeted with ease, I am sure, in comfort settings.
    Astonishing.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They are the most accomplished engineers in the world because they built a big, powerful luxury sedan that will require thousands of dollars in maintenance every time you take it into the shop? Shit, I can do that. Make it run 100,000 miles with no power loss before its first scheduled tune-up and then I'll be impressed.

3. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

4. art_VW_shark

:ugh: Why can't you appreciate this? The performance is MONUMENTAL.

5. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

So it's like a Volkswagen, except fast, good-looking, roomy, and agile?

6. 2slow

2slow Member

Not so sure about the "good-looking" bit :-(

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't give a shit how fast it goes if it breaks all the time. Do you even have to pay for your own car repairs yet? If not, you'll eventually understand why that's more important.

8. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

My Porsche 911's are the most reliable vehicles I've owned. I have both 997 and early 911. On the late model I haven't done anything but oil changes. On the old one I haven't done anything but oil changes. They are engineered pretty well. I wouldn't confuse the sillyness of Mercedes electronics with Porsche. Porsche does their work pretty well. On a side: my Mercedes has had 3 electrical and one window regulator problem is only 3 months...

9. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

nice copy pasting moron

10. art_VW_shark

wow. way to make a philosophical point pragmatic. i am aware high end cars tend to be unreliable.
    "Wow, this 750Li will totally cost more to own than a Civic. Guess I am getting a civic!"
    :ugh2: