LGBT Why or What Makes You Proud to be Gay?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, Mar 15, 2005.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Since a couple people got their weenies caught in a vice grip in the stereotypes thread :mamoru: , I thought I'd start a more positive thread.

So why are you proud to be gay? Let's hear the reasons.

2. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I'm proud to be gay because it's given me a world view that I otherwise would not have had. I started exploring my sexuality toward the end of college and it really was an awakening experience for me.

The way I see it, we have more to think about, in general, than straight people. Our rights, community, etc. I guess it just forces you to think more. With so many pertinent issues and so many strong opinions on both sides of each and every argument, being gay has really given me a chance to exercise my mind in ways I know I wouldn't were I straight. That's also why I have a deep respect for straight people who go out of their way to understand us even if they don't agree with us.

Additionally, despite all the cries about our being disadvantaged when it comes to equal rights, I believe that we have an advantage when it comes to our outlook on life. We get to see love as something so transcendant and beautiful, because within our community it really has no restrictions. And all those people out there trying to deny us ways to validate that love, are only making it stronger and more valuable to us. Free thought is the greatest gift my sexuality has granted me and I'm extremely proud of that.

I hope I conveyed all that correctly. The bottom line is that I'm gay, and I honestly couldn't imagine my life any different, nor would I choose to even if I could. :wiggle:

Oh, and I'm proud that when I go out with my straight friends, that I'm the one who's first to get the attention from girls. Even though it does me no good, their jealousy makes it worth it! Heightened fashion sense and good grooming > * :bigthumb: Although, would it kill the occasional guy to take a chance on me? :hsugh:

3. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I proud to be who I am, finally.

I'm proud that I finally had the strength to break all the expectations that my parents had for me and break the social norms to become the person I was born to be.

I'm proud to have helped others be the people that they were meant to be... to have helped other men emerge from the shame and bask in the light.

4. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

i wouldnt say i was proud of it.. but its who i am, and i certainly dont try to hide it.

5. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

I agree with this.

I do like the fact that I can be emotionally honest with people. It seems that this is one thing that straight males are taught not to be. I have no problem telling someone I love them (friend or other) and am willing to share my feelings on things.

I guess I am proud of the freedom from gender role socialization I have achieved as a result of being gay. Maybe one day all men will be able to experience this freedom. :dunno:

6. Team503

Team503 Guest

Agreed.

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm proud because my queerness makes me gifted. And in a world filled with the mundane, I revel in such power...