Why not a ROM Windows Vista OS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darketernal, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Anyone remember them old atari ram games, where you put it in the console, and it 'instantaniously' worked? Why not have a OS lets say 300 mb or ROM that could be read like that so you don't have to 'load' all your operation system stuff, and maby load the rest of the background processes on a later schedule?

I mean its not techinically impossible right? And it would give a nice add on component on your motherboard. :mamoru:

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Isn't this a Live CD, but it spins instead of pluggin in?

3. johnson

johnson New Member

it's called solid state flash drives

4. teamelement3

teamelement3 BFB

Live CD's I have two distros of Linux like this (unbuntu and knoppix) but they aren't 300 mb, they are over 600

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Bart PE

I have a Windows XP Bart PE CD and it is a life saver. I've taken a completly trashed system (viruses/spyware) cleaned it with the Bart PE environment, replaced a few corrupt files and the system was back to 100%.

EDIT: After re-reading your post you're looking to keep system memory presistent. This can be done using the hibernate functionality. Basically, everything in memory is dumped to the hard disk and the computer shuts off.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Windows Embedded has done this for years.

7. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

You can already do this with a CF->IDE Adapter.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can do this with a 'Disk on Module' although they have a new name. They are little IDE flash modules. You can also boot off a USB key. There's no advantage to it being ROM though. Flash RAM is fine.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The biggest issue with this (besides cost, Disk On Chip ain't exactly Cheap) is that the drive speed is NOT the limiting factor when booting windows. I remember when the first Netier devices came out. Stripped down NT4 workstation on a DOC chip. We though "Sweet, can't wait to see how fast this baby boots!". "Wait" turned out to be the operative word. Turned out that NT4 was just slow, no matter how fast you could read the disk. I do believe that Vista does have some sort of "instant on" feature built in, or was supposed to. Haven't been paying attention to the feature set lately.

10. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No, what he's talking about is a read-only image of Windows Vista, as it would be if it were already loaded into memory and waiting for you to log in. That's the only way it would act exactly like an old cartridge videogame.

I guess it would work kind of like hibernate, but it would load faster on account of being stored in a high-bandwidth ROM chip instead of on a hard disk or a flash drive connected to a slow IDE bus.

The only problem would be installing Windows Updates. Even if your computer loaded Windows from non-volatile memory, it would still need to apply updates to its code on the fly, unless the ROM chip was actually an EEPROM chip that only Windows Update knew how to change the contents of. Then the problem becomes, how do you flash the EEPROM chip when a virus hacks its way in and destroys your instant-bootup Windows image?