MMA Why MMA fighters should embrace Judo

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Dec 13, 2008.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

here is a little mini essay on judo in MMA written by me

Judo in MMA: an underutilized fighting system

Judo has had a very sporadic existence in MMA which is esspecially prevalent in the UFC (the major MMA organisation).few Fighters are usually well versed in the art, and many if not most fighters do not know it at all. However what is the reason for this uneven trend with judo in MMA?

Throughout the beggining of the UFC wrestlers and grapplers were the major successors in MMA, and still to this day the reprsesent a dominant force in the UFC. However within the past decade the sport has evolved to and now nearly all fighters cross train the the three major disciplines Ground Work (Usually made up of BJJ or Wrestling), Takedowns (dominanted by wrestling) and striking (dominanted by Muay Thai, Boxing, Savate etc.)

However with more and more striking fighters (and even ground fighters will sprawl to end up being on the bottom in an MMA match) becomming better versed at sprawling against the symbolic catch wrestling shots so it is now common for wrestling moves (such as the shoot to put the shooter in a worse position).

Therefore innovation must be made in the work of takedowns. Whilst striking and sprawling has bred a breed of 'sprawl and brawlers'. Groundfighters have made limited attempts to increase their takedown ability.

This is where Judo really can turn the tables in a fight. Judo operates prodominatly in the clinch, and like most wrestling sports the goal is to throw your opponent on their back. Although in sporting Judo the gi is worn, the techniques can all be simply modified to the use of no-gi. This is a lot simpler to do in Judo than for instance BJJ where the gi represents levers, whilst in judo they simply move the opponent into position for the throw. For those of you familiar with judo, it is quiet easy to modify it for the use of no-gi.

However lots of MMA bouts do end up in the clinch. (much like boxing fighters end up in a clinch). The clinch represents a midway point between striking and stand up grappling. Thus it makes it the ideal place for a judo takedown. Whilst greco roman fighters also use the clinch, they prohibit use of leg trips thus reducing the available options of the art in an MMA fight. Catch wrestlers usually expend a lot of energy pushing their opponents up against the cage to take them down.

However judo does not rely on pushing your opponent, it is as simple as pushing your opponent to put his weight on a post (a leg for example) or shift is centre of gravity to compensate, then simply removing the post or redistrubting their centre of gravity and throwing them. The throws are hard to see coming and often several throws can be 'chained' into one another if one throw fails, it sets up another throw.Therefore the clinch game offers a new window of takedowns for groundfighters especially, which can be exploited through studying judo.

Cliffs: Judo in underrated and underused, especially when shoots are being stopped more and more. The clinch, which a lot of fights end up in can take advantage of judo if they study it and put the opponent fighter on their back.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Heres the issue normal greco/freestyle wrestling is much better at control within the clinch hence you dont see many Judo throws even by the guys with a Judo background.

3. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I don't think so, it just depends on weather the fighter wants to make his background in judo a part of his game.

Eg: Paulo Filho , Shinya Aoki, Fedor, Karo Parisyan, Arlovski, Nakumura, Yoshida and many more make judo a BIG part of their game

Whilst fighters such as sokoudjou, for some reason only known to them, dont make judo a part of their game.

I have to strongly disagree with greco/freestyle having much control in the clinch, being a judo player and having to go against wrestlers, whilst they are strong and have a good strong base and move very well, there clinch control relies on strength not technique.

4. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

as an english major i had an epileptic seisure trying to get through that

5. THE LIOG

if you're older than 13 this is sad

6. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Congrats on being a prick there, LongIsleOG.

7. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Me dyd 7h15 Hun9oVeR, C0mMeNt oN mi aRtiCle NaWt mAh PoOr EnGlIsh k?

8. THE LIOG

go have a nervous breakdown over some minor occurance because you're a mature person

9. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

:rofl:

10. Hillary

??? I'm a 20 year old female.

Let me emphasize the ovaries part.

You know, these things.

**Editted because LIOG doesn't want his personal pictures on the interwebs.

I'll ALWAYS be crazy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  11. THE LIOG

ban for unlinked NWS

12. kroneX

kroneX New Member

oh god, whats has my thread turned into! 1 post ontopic from 2ofdem and now this! nooo my precious thread.

btw LongIsleOG english is not my first language, so go have fun being an unemployed english major, whilst i make lots of money being an environmental scientist/ecologist/hydrologist

13. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

oh yea and Greco/freestyle > judo for MMA imo

14. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

thats ass backwards, its easier to go to nogi from gi bjj
    than to go from judo to nogi judo

15. kroneX

kroneX New Member

reasoning would be nice

16. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

chechen made a thread similar to this where someone stated that Judo federations outright ban participants who compete in different martial arts. My guess is that there's no top level Judo instruction because of this and a lot of pure Judokas supposedly shitting all over MMA much like some boxing fans do.

17. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Since BJJ is a direct offshoot of judo, I think it's reasonable to say judo has had a fairly profound influence on modern MMA.

18. teep

teep New Member

there's very little to adapt. if you transition from greco to MMA all the holds are still exactly the same. besides most throws, sweeps, etc that would be available to you without a gi in judo are a part of greco.

why is it that judo guys are so high and mighty about their sport? i think there is a lot you can benefit from learning judo, but fuck.

I was pretty lucky and got to train a little bit with Korea's olympic coach for athens and he shat all over jiu jitsu and wrestling. After taking down a bunch of his guys with ease with my "inferior wrestling" he didn't let me roll anymore insisting that I wasn't ready and had to learn the basics. He had me do those fucking falling drills all day. 3 days of that and I quit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  19. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

:squint: those arent yours

20. teep

teep New Member

you sure do hate being a girl

21. kroneX

kroneX New Member

shooto you know in greco roman, trips and any leg work at all is not aloud right?

Yeah judo guys can be a bit arrogant, but you gotta see through that. Judo is a huge sport and hardly gets any recognition at all, which is sad and probably leads to a bit of bitterness.

However you gotta see through that shit to see the art for what it really is

22. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Greco is easier to learn an adapt to MMA than judo, therefor those who need to pick up a game from the clinch start with that than judo. Add to that the few high level judo people who are willing to teach and adapt that teaching to MMA...

23. teep

teep New Member

yeah my thought process didn't make it on to the page so well. early morning work on a saturday ftl.

fact is though even if you wrestle purely greco you're going to know all the other shit as well.

just based on personal experiece i feel like unless you're a high level judo player already you're not going to be able to pull shit off in MMA you see guys like Karo do. I've had really high level judo guys toss me around the cage at will when sparring MMA, but I've also worked with guys that were on a similar level with me. At least in my experience with those situations I always ended up on top. :dunno:

it's just so much easier and basic. And as far as MMA is concerned it teaches you to control the other guy (not necessarily with the intent of taking it to the ground)

24. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl:

25. Hillary

I was joking :)

I wouldn't have half the opportunities I have if I was a boy. Plus boobies are fun!