Why Jeeps are the only vehicles worth their 4x4 badging

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jeffery, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

thought this would be common sense to most by now, but with the overwhelming populace believing the H2 to be the ultimate off roader, thought I’d clear it up for a few confused sheeple.

My Jeep will flat out spank ANY H2 off road and for that matter lets go ahead and lump the H1 in the butthurt piss poor off road design category as well.

As far as full size trucks go, Im sure you’re all familiar with lifted pickups every mullet touting skoal chewing hillbilly in America seem to hold in high regard with their oversized and underengineered monster trucklike appearance. Most of these would be off roaders resort to cheap and unsafe suspension modifications including lift blocks, 44 inch tires, factory brake setups, improper factory gearing, and lets not forget the ever popular 3-12 inch body lifts :rolleyes:

My Jeep comes from the factory with a 4:1 transfercase, lockers front and rear encased in D44 housings perfectly engineered and setup from the factory for extreme rock crawling abuse and no-nonsense nimble off road prowess through tight trails and obsticles. Oh yeah, whats that H2 got? IFS? Is’nt it like 12 feet wide too? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why are you posting this about the H2? I don't know anyone that thinks the H2 is for offroading?

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

You're just preaching to the choir in here.

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

Yep Jeeps are great offroaders after they buy a bunch of chevy parts are install them.

Blazers with Dana 60s in front, 14FF in rear.

5. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

When I hear the word "Blazer" only thing comes to mind is rust and bad gas mileage :rofl: :rofl:

6. Cryption

Cryption Guest

I'll put a Nissan Patrol against your jeep any day

7. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

I have no idea what that is :ugh: But I seriously doubt your challenge would ammount to much :wiggle:

8. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Granted I agree a rubicon will outdo a H2 in most aspects offroad you are entirely too overconfident in it :ugh:

I have a feeling I would consider what you think is extreme rock crawling a joke also. Dana 44s aren't much to brag about either. I have a dana 60 and a dana 70 in my Wrangler.

9. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Assuming you are strictly talking about offroading like basis the thread was started on, your an idiot. You bragging about a larger, heavier, vehicle with similar strength axles (which means they are in effect weaker in that application) and also in effect needs the larger engine to maintain the same power to weight ratio and once again making the axles in effect weaker. Room four 4 adults isn't much of an advantage offroad also. Removable hard top? Seems like wranglers have those and the option for a soft top. Also wranglers have either a 5 or 6 speed manual meaning much more gearing choices. In genral for most offroad situations a wrangler is a much better choice. I am not biased really either. I have a ford Truck and a wrangler as my offroad vehicle.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

agreed. about 15 pull up infront of my shool every morning with spinners on the wheels and soccer moms at the wheels. having the H2 as a strict offroad vehicle is a joke unless you do some SERIOUS work to it. it couldn't even get half as far as most jeep's due to it's freakishly huge body, probably too wide for lots of offroading spots.

but i don't praise jeep's either. they are overpriced in comparison to other popular offroaders. they've got popularity going for them, but i wouldn't go with one just because it beats a H2 or H1. they have excellent marketing, commercials make them look FAR better than they could ever be from the dealership.

11. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Won't be waiting too long :rolleyes: Quite a few. Axles are only as strong as their weakest link, in which Dana 44s are usually the same in axle shaft size or sometimes stronger if comparing to a 28 spline Ford 9 shaft.

Lots :ugh: I am beginning to think you aren't even worth a response.

Take a look through the list of transmission used in Jeeps some had your granny gear, even still it really doesn't mean shit for offroad when you have a low range. Its mostly ideal for towing. And there have been many Jeeps with V8s, especially if you aren't only talking CJ/wranglers. Wagoneers, J truck pick ups, grand cherokees. Even still, 6cyl wranglers weigh much less weight than any Ford with a V8 so it was similar in power to weight ratio. Which is all that matters.

List of factory tansmissions
    http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission/Factory

The rubicon is an average Jeep its jsut a few extra parts on any other TJ wrangler. People make it out to be like its a different vehicle. :rolleyes: No room inside is opinion and based on use and still once again room is not an important or a deciding feature for an offroad vehicle. I seem to load mine up fine anyway at least good enough for any off road trip. I don't use the rear seat when I go on trips so I pull that, and I fit my big ass tool case that I am sure is as big as any cooler and a spare 37" tire in the back, plus a hi lift jack and numerous other things.

and it would do trail more comfortably? Thats complete opinon.

12. Diesel66

Rather have two blondes, my dog and a huge ice chest and still do most of the trails out there with my Blazer.

13. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

I've owned two Jeeps - both were pieces of shit.

most anything > Jeep in terms of reliability.

14. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Offroad ability was the WHOLE POINT of this thread not comfort and interior space so shut up about it.

Second I didn't compare it to the weakest 9 I compared it to both. You obviously can't read or just selectivly choose which facts you choose to pay attention to. I said at most a ford 9 is the same strength or in some cases a dana 44 is actually stronger.

Also saying "my Bronco has never gotten me stuck" just wrote you off in my book as talking out of your ass about offroading and vehicle's ability. It just shows your low requirements of what offroading is and a vehicles capability. How can you even claim to know the limits of a vehicles ability if you don't find them out, or obviously haven't been on anything I probably wouldn't consider an unmaintained road.

Its very clear your idea of offroading is mild trail riding with little real challenges, thats fine and I respect that but I also see it as degrading to the respect I have for your opinions on serious offroading. My idea of offroading however is finding the hardest obstales I can get a vehicle to travel over, and extra size, weight and body panels, and glass windows are just trouble.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  15. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

I seriously hope you are flame baiting me becasue I can't comprehend how somebody could selectivly read my posts this bad. I never claimed Jeeps are the only ones that have ability or anything close to that. Ability has nothig to do with a brand name. I have only so far compared Jeeps to the vehicle you brought up as your example. Yet still, yes wranger/CJ, Toyota FJ40, or suzuki samurai style rigs with less body and less weight have more inherent ability than fullsize fullbodied rigs. Like I said becasue of size and weight. Thats the same reason a tube chassis is even more capable than those I just listed, less weight and size allows for more capability up to a certain point. Also I have yet to see a land rover more capable than my Jeep also, even online. Thants not being big headed about Jeeps either I have just never seen any very modified. I don't believe I have ever seen one with anything bigger than 35s. So thats not saying much. I have been to offroad events and parks in many different states and I don't remeber ever even seeing one offroad either. Yes stock and mildly built they are very capable just like every other solid axle rigs though.

Now here is an important part are you paying attention. If you read what I originally said it was this "in which Dana 44s are usually the same in axle shaft size or sometimes stronger if comparing to a 28 spline Ford 9 shaft.". Key word being "usually" meaning that usually the ford 9 has the same 1.31 axle shaft diameter as a Dana 44 then as a side note I said sometimes (meaning less common) are the weaker 28 splaine. Yes a ford 9 has a stonger ring and pinion, yes its stonger in a few other ways but as I said in the first post about this axles are only as strong as their weakest link. Both of which, dana 44 and ford 9, are its axle shafts. Both of which are 1.31" diameter. So if it has stonger parts elsewhere it doesn't mean a damn thing since it will take the same force for a failure. I don't know where you get half of this crap but I never said a dana 44 was stonger either. Basicly summed up, all I said is their weakest links are the same strength.

Like I said I respect your way of offroading but its just not what I enjoy though thats how I started out. But I pushed the limits further and further and had multiple times I spent nights digging out friends trucks becasue we knew nobody else with 4x4s, and I don't regret it. I can understand not pushing it too hard when you are by yourself but risk and the surprise of making it through something you didn't think you could make it through are some of the best aspects of offroading and having fun doing it. You should try wheeling with others in a group.

Everything after describing your type of offroading I agree with too.

16. del_parker

del_parker New Member

Anyone know where I can get a Dana 60 front cheap for my Toyota?

17. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

18. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Cheap means you will probably have to find something fairly local. Any you find online will probably have owners who know what they are worth unless you get lucky. Also sometiems its best to buy a whole vehicle that has it and part out the rest if you have the space and time. Many times doing that you can make back the money you spent and basicly get the part you want for free if you do it right and find a good vehicle to start out with.

19. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Jeeps don't have V8s, strong axles, or granny gears? :mamoru:

AMC 401, dana 60, T18

20. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

:rolleyes: Irrelavant when the Jeep is the only thing that will work off road. Bronco's are oversized, underpowered for their weight, and all that space inside is mostly wasted unless you like driving around with 6 other people in there.

I've owned my share of K-5's and found them to be useless as well.......

21. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Oh, for fucks sake. Jeffrey is a fucktard, and both Jeeps and FSBs are capable offroad.

Can't believe either of you two succumbed to obvious flamebait. Fuck. I expected better from both of you.

22. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

:rofl: No Doubt! :rofl:

23. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

How many broncos are they making nowadays? :ugh:

24. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

There have been a ton. In 97 it was completely redone and way different than 87-95 YJ wranglers they don't share hardly any parts. 2000 got a few changes, 2003 got new eninge and 2 transmissions, a different transfer case, front and rear axle options, optional lockers, also the interior was redone a decent amount. 2005 got a LWB version. I'd say it gets updated a lot.

25. Diesel66

none because women only want jeeps and other girlie trucks

Ducking for cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.