Why is Vista Locking instead of sleeping?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Aug 28, 2008.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I'm trying to get my Laptop to sleep, and when I press the sleep button or power button(I have mine set to sleep) the computer just blanks the screen and goes into lock. I tried disabling lock, but I still have the problem. Anybody ever heard of this?

2. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I wasn't even sharing media, but I had to turn those settings off. Right after I posted this, I remembered I had to set it so that my computer would sleep when sharing media. How does this work though, because I'm not sharing any media and the computer just locks....

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Change the power settings so it goes into Standby or Hibernate instead.

4. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Wow really? I put in the first post that I have it set to sleep. Then, in the 2nd post I said my comp was going into some kind of stand by b/c of the media settings in Vista. I had to do this before, but I had forgotten about it after I reformatted my Lappy. Anyways, I was just wondering why it wasn't sleeping if I was not sharing any media. Goes to sleep fine now after I changed the media settings to, "allow to sleep"

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Where is that setting?

6. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Power options/Edit plan settings/change advanced power settings/Multimedia settings/When sharing media/Allow the computer to sleep.

Previously, it said allow the computer to enter away mode. The other option is Prevent idling to sleep. I think the probem was there WAS another computer around, but I didn't allow it to share my media. Some random computer b/c I was in a public area. I guess even if you dont share, the process is still running, which might prevent you from sleeping?

7. bellyfoo

bellyfoo New Member

a simple fix might be to add a memory card ,s/d type thing in slot if there is a slot ,
    works wonders for this problem .