why is this happening (cable modem + router)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EE CUMMINGS, Mar 10, 2006.

1. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

Hello, I have timewarners road runner service and there is something going on lately that i cannot figure out

The cable modem service is working because I can directly connect to the modem and access the internet.

However, when i connect a simple non wireless broadband router to the modem, i cannot access the internet.

When i connect my computer to the router, i do a simple ping test and it can communicate with the router itself but when i try to ping any popular website, it cannot reach the host.

What is the deal?

I've also gone into the router configuration and made sure everything was set correctly. This is the 2nd router in 1 month. My original router had the same problem, so we got another one and up until 2 days ago it was working fine. now i just cant get online. :ugh: its not just my computer, i also have a laptop and i tried it earlier and it can't connect to websites. same with my roommates computer

Ive even called time warners tech support but they cant do much in terms of troubleshooting because their is no outage and the the cable modem itself works (since i can directly connect). they said call the router mfg because its the router issue but i dont want to pay $2.99 a minute to talk to tech support in india LOL

:wtc:

2. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Make sure you reboot the cable modem each time you connect it to something. This sounds similar to what I was experiencing a while back. It seems like a small detail (and I didn't think about it), but it makes the difference between going online and not.

If you can connect the cable modem directly to your pc and it works, and then you hook it up to the router, and the router is getting not outside connection, and you did not reboot the cable modem, that's probably why. (unplug the modem from the power and probably cable line too, plug back in after a few minutes)

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Well, I would suggest you call back Road Runner and ask them where to get drugs like that...they are certainly smoking good shit. If you can access the router and set it up, its most likely working fine.

I would bump the modem (unplug, wait a minute, plug it back in) and see if that works. You may also need to bump the router. Failing that, its probably a MAC address issue. Some broadband providers register the MAC address from a computer. If bumping the modem doesn't work, you may need to call and have road runner reset the MAC address they have listed.

4. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

Well I tried 'bumping' it numerous times, both the router and modem, so its time to call again and tell them to reset the mac address?