A&P why is this card reader so ass slow

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fatass, Jul 2, 2007.

1. fatass

fatass New Member

I got this $20 card reader from Fry's. It says it's USB 2.0 but transferring my 4gb Lexar CF is taking days. I seriously think it's gonna take an hour. It's on my dell d400 which has 1 gig of RAM. Maybe cause i'm pulling the photos from the card reader to an external hard drive that's plugged in via USB as well?

shit

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

ding ding ding!

3. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

[geek]
    What RPM speed is your external? data transer rates?
    a lot of times if its a full size 3.5, 7,200 RPM USB 2.0 hard drive your transfer rates will be imensely faster then if you're loading onto your laptop hard drive. laptops are normally 5,400 rpms, have slower transfer rates, are are trying to do other things while you're transfering.
    What is your Processor doing when you transfer? if ya have a fast enough hard drive your processor can be limiting the amount of data you can transfer although it is doubtfull pulling off a 20 dollar card reader
    /geek

4. fatass

fatass New Member

it might be lightroom using up the processor as that's what I'm using to import the pictures to.

the external hard drive is a full size maxtor 320gig with 7200 rpm.

i just gave up last night and went back to transferring using my d200 itself and that seems to work just fine. only downside is it eats up the camera battery

i'll do a quick look at the processor next time with the card reader to see what the heck it's doing.