MIL Why is there something between Enlisted/NCO's and Officers?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wayney, Aug 4, 2005.

1. wayney

wayney New Member

I still don't get it. There always seem to be something between them, like getting along or disliking each other. Can anyone explain this? Oh yeah, there should be a smily that salutes... This might happen when you salute when your drunk :uh:

Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to go to OCS. But then I like being in the enlisted/nco side because everyone is chill and mostly get along.

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

There is a separation between the Officer and Enlisted ranks due to the responsibilities that each Corp carries. In order to make the professional decision 100% of the time, you have to be able to make an unbiased decision. In order for it to remain 100% professional between the Enlisted Corp and Officer Corp there is a mandatory separation. This void is larger in the Army and Marine Corp where Officers make life and death decisions daily in a combat zone. The void is not as wide in the Navy and Air Force where the enlisted and officer corp work more closely each day, and have less of a chance of being in a situation where the Officer will have to make a decision that may put the Enlisted member in harms way. Being prior Army, I wanted to know that if my Officer had to make a decision that may ultimately result in my death, they made it for the right reasons. Not because of any personal opinions they held towards me.

With that said there is another reason why there is a separation between the Officer Corp and Enlisted Corp. It is one of the main reasons why society in America is separated. That reason is education. Every Officer has a 4 year degree minimum. Very few Enlisted members enter into the military with any formal education. Education gives one a sense of accomplishment and prestige. And it is only human nature to associate with people of similar success in life. Unfortunately this can also be perceived as arrogance, which goes along way towards creating negative attitudes.

I personally have a problem with Officers because I have a problem with authority, and prefer to be the one in charge. Which is odd since I love being in the military.

There is a similar void between the NCO corp and the junior enlisted ranks. This void is also due to the decisions an NCO must make day to day, and is wider in the Corp and Army in comparison to the Navy and Air Force. While not as wide due to the daily interaction between a NCO and their troops, it is still present. The reason there is not as much animosity towards the NCO Corp by the junior enlisted ranks is because the majority of junior enlisted hope to one day make it into the NCO Corp. Hard to hate something you are working towards joining.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. brackac

If you are saluting while drunk you either did something wrong or are in the process of doing something wrong.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:rofl:

5. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Because officers have no idea how things work on the enlisted side, it's not all officers that you see people have problems with. More so boot ass lts who come straight out of OCS and start trying to change shit or "make things better".

Perfect example, we have a white board that we use to pass word for the day to the Marines in our baracks. It's been there forever and everyone uses it. This 1st LT who lives out in town (probably never lived in a baracks) comes in asks me if we uses it, says he couldn't see how it'd be useful. He then tears it down (breaking it in the proccess) and tells me hes going to be back later to put up a single marine program poster (ie bullshit) in its spot. The board is now lying up against the wall right where it used to be hanging and the poster is no where to be found.

Officers....

6. seven

seven New Member

i've noticed that friction between classes is usuallybetween brand new butter bars and experienced NCO's. usaully the NCO's know what they are doing, while the hotshot rookie officer thinks they know everything.

Feild Grade officers usually know how to use and have a good relationship with NCO's. Hopfully when i get into the military, i won't have to deal with any new enlisted (E-4 and below), being i'm trying to get a reserch position this should not be too hard.

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Good luck with that... :ugh:

8. Capitals

Capitals Guest

:rofl::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :bowdown:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl:

9. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

:wtf:

10. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

you are a tool.

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

And this is a prime example of why enlisted people don't get along real well with officers.

12. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

:ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2::ugh2:

13. seven

seven New Member

damn...i knew i'd get some comment for what i said, but 7, shit...:mamoru:. (i didn't mean any offence to the E-4 or below, but that's how my experiences with them have made me feel)

I know i'm gonna have to deal with junior enlisted when i'm in, i just don’t want to is what i meant.

14. Capitals

Capitals Guest

:wtf:

God forbid you have to "deal with" the entire work force of the U.S. Military. Who the hell do you think are the people who actually do the work in the military? Officers? :bowdown:

And what expierences have you had with junior enlisted if you aren't even in yet?

Sounds like another jackass officer in the making, I feel sorry for whatever unit you get attached to. :ugh2:

IB:lockd:

15. seven

seven New Member

Never said I was bright, but on my way to class I was thinking about, and I guess it's the same on the other side of the fence. You enlisted folks probably loath dealing with new officers like me, huh? Cause we pretty much all act the same, and have an air of arrogance around us and make stupid remarks. I’ll try and change that.

I'm really not a jackass or much of an officer (or officer in training) for that matter, so I don't think calling me a jackass officer from one statement I make is warranted.
    As for problems with enlisted...Jesus...i don't want to take up this whole thread with stories about enlisted messing up my paperwork because they can't READ or follow directions.

16. brackac

You're a pompous idiot.

17. seven

seven New Member

why don't you read before you post, i'm talking about junior enlisted, not experienced ones. Because if you're telling me some 19 year old E-3's got more education then me, you don't know what your talking about. And my comments were directed at the Air Force, the service I’m going into. I don't think too many of our boys are catching bullets for me.

This thread is getting completely off the damn subject, if my lil comment about enlisted folk got to you'll that much, don't read, you have a choice. If it really offended you PM me and we'll talk it out. These stupid comments like “You’re an Idiot” or “You’re a tool” are just immature and should stay in the main forum. If you're going to post something post it with some reasoning, explain to me why I’m wrong, I’m always open to change. I know I’m not in the military, I know I don't know everything. Maybe the experiences I’m having with enlisted people in civilian life are different then the one's I’ll be having when I’m commissioned. Because right now as far as I’m concerned your comments are proving my point.

18. brackac

Ok, I will reply in an adult manner. As a Officer you are in charge of a wide range of people. These people are young and old, experience and inexperienced, and mature and immature. As a Leader you must be willing to accept the difference between people to be an effective leader. Going into the Air Force with a negative bias towards the Airman will instantly show through. If you are not willing to lead with an open mind you will never be a leader; You will be nothing but rank.

Now let's talk about military experience. As a Junior Officer, which you will be, you have nothing but college experience and the 4 week course the Air Force deems necessary to train a Officer. The Junior Enlisted person you wish to avoid has been through 6 weeks of basic training, tech school, and will progress through various stages of career specific upgrade training. The majority of Airman enlisting into the Air Force have some college experience also. As a Junior Officer you have less military experience than 90% of Airman in the Air Force. You would be smart to pay attention to the Airman for they know more than you.

Finally, quit being a dickhead and talking about your "experiences" with the junior enlisted. You are a Cadet, the lowest form of scum in the military pool. I would hassle you also. And if this thread is any indication of your mentality as a ROTC Cadet, I know why the enlisted people have been difficult to work with.

19. Ranger-AO

Right now you honestly know squat about how the military works. The backbone of each service is the lower ranks. That is where the nuts and bolts get put together. Your dream job of a soft comfy chair in a nice quiet office with soft music playing gently in the background and a "No Low Rank Scum Allowed" sign on the door doesn't exist anywhere outside of the Pentagon.

Read what you posted and put yourself in the place of the men and women who make the military work every single day, on their own two feet, with their own two hands, and with their own minds. Their sweat and perseverance and determination to do a good job, many times in spite of self-absorbed assholes like you, are what gets the job done.

I sincerely hope you have to work for people like you described yourself to be for the rest of your career. It's only fair. :dunno:

20. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Do us all a favor and stay the hell away from the military :ugh:

Shit, you're in ROTC and you already have an arrogant attitude toward junior enlisted? It's people like you that make these threads necessary.

Edit: Everything Ranger and brackac have said is right on the money. :bowdown: to you guys

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  21. brackac

I'm going to show this thread to a couple of Officers I know, they should get a kick out of you wanting a job as a junior officer where you don't have to deal with the Airman of the Air Force.

22. brackac

Keeping me at the position of attention for two days was a little excessive. :mad:

23. Ranger-AO

:bowrofl:

24. seven

seven New Member

Ok, since it seems everyone here has an opinion differing mine, you guy's are probably right. I'll concede. It was never my intention to piss of anybody like it seems, I just expressed my opinion. And got thoroughly put in my place. I’m sure none of you guys have ever had opinion that was wrong, or ever spoke out in ignorance.

Anyways, I’m gonna go back to lurking in this forum, I don’t know enough to post I guess, when I’m really in the military in a few, I’ll start posting stuff, I’m sure that this will stop my confrontations in this forum. Maybe my opinions will be different in the future. later:)

25. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

an officer isn't a switch that is turned on in an instant the day you graduate or the day you get pinned. officers are made or they're bred. having an opinion is one thing, but having opinions such as yours shows a couple things. for one, it shows your conceited and pompous attitude that's indicative of your personality, it also shows that YOU DO NOT HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OR THE WILL TO GO OUT AND INTERACT WITH YOUR FELLOW MILITARY BROTHERS AND SISTERS TO GET AN UNDERSTANDING OF HOW BEST TO INTERACT WITH OTHERS.

you failed in that, and which i think is important especially as just a ROTC cadet, and as such the lesson you have to take away from this is the fact that learning is proactive and you need to know your fucking place.