Why is there a black gap on the left hand side of my screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funky Munky, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

Been using a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT for a few weeks now with a Targa Visionary LCD monitor. My windows interface is fine there are no gaps and the screen is panned perfect but when I start playing games and they boot up there is a black gap on the left hand side of my monitor of less than an inch and on the right side there is a few centimetres of my display missing.

The drivers are up to date so it can't be that. I don't want to mess about with my monitor settings because the colour and scale is perfect right now.

Any ideas?

2. waterypoop

waterypoop New Member

if you ahve an auto adjust button hit that, or do it manually

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why are you using analog and not DVI?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Jolly's right, DVI auto-aligns your screen for you. (or maybe it doesn't need aligning at all, but the effect is the same, so WTFever.) If your screen has a place to connect a DVI cable, use it. Go out and buy a DVI cable if you don't have one.

Anyway, the answer to WHY your screen looks like that, is that analog signals have to be aligned on LCDs just like on CRTs. This is because the analog signal has to be interpreted using a timer that bumps the incoming data down to the next row of pixels every 1/60th of a second; if the timer is running a little slow, for example, the signal will be interpreted as having 100 black pixels on the left side of every row, instead of having 50 black pixels on each side of every row, and the picture will get drawn off-center compared to the borders of the screen.

(the numbers I used were just invented for the sake of example.)