Why is the paint chipped off my hood?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Diablow, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Diablow

Diablow Guest

Its like exteremly small spots of my red milano paint that have come off. Its only on the hood too. What gives :dunno:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Stone chips, I would guess. Only way to avoid them is to not drive your car.

The only good thing about the dumb chick turning left in front of me last year was I got a new hood with new paint-my original paint on my hood was really getting creamed by stone chips with all the road construction around here.

3. Diablow

Diablow Guest

wow that many stone chips? Its real close to the wind shield too.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without actually seeing your car in person, stone chips would be my best guess. Could it be overspray? Or is the paint actually missing in those spots?

5. Diablow

Diablow Guest

no how do I put it. Its like I am running my hand on the hood.....smooth...smooth....smooth...then there is like a 1mm deep "hole" in the paint, and the "color" of that hole is white.

I guess I'll take some pics from real close so you get a better idea. However, I think I should get a carbon fiber hood from the tax cut your man gives us :big grin:

6. Section8

Section8 .

Sounds like stone chips to me too. I've got them all over my Tacoma. Since it's a truck, I'm not too upset about it, I just got some touch up paint from the dealer. I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work on I-95, so there's no way for me to get around it...

7. Mr X

Mr X Guest

yea, stone chips, i got them all over my hood on my teg. i freaking hate it. samet hing happened to me scott. someone back into my front bumper and i got a new paint job! :big grin: no more stone chips and the factory paint defect got fixed for free. hehe :big grin:

8. i only have one stone chip on my truck, it's right where the hood starts too, it's pretty deep too.

My eclipse on the other hand has at least 3 stone chips on the hood and i have no idea about how many on the bumper...
    I think cars get more stone chips becuase they're lower and more aerodynamic... i donno

9. illmaticNYC

illmaticNYC Guest

are stone chips warranted?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

get a carbon fiber hood and leave it unpainted.... it's shiny enough :big grin:

11. good question... If you find the answer to be positive make sure you tell me...

12. Guest

Guest Guest

It'll be stone chips for sure. My 3000GT has pearl black paint and stone chips show up real good, there are even two on the front pillars... The white in there around the edges will be residue from either polish, or possibly lime in the water.

The white can be taken out with the sharp end of a toothpick, but it's extremely time consuming...

As for stone chips being warranted - I doubt it... it's under normal wear & tear.

13. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

You could fo to the dealership and buy one of those defletctors they put on the hood of the car. Protects your windshield and hood from stone chips.