Why is spinach underrated?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Socrates, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I always hear about tuna and whatnot (I know it's good because of low calories and high protein), but I was just looking at a can of spinach and it has 90 calories in a whole damn can. 30 calories per serving.

Do a lot of you brolys eat spinach or no?

2. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

There are 4g of protein per 48 calories in spinach. Meh..

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

i hate it.

4. etech

etech New Member

Spinach

Spinach

Calorie for calorie, leafy green vegetables like spinach with its delicate texture and jade green color provide more nutrients than any other food. Although spinach is available throughout the year their season runs from March through May and from September through October when it is the freshest, has the best flavor and is most readily available.
    Health Benefits
    Anti-Cancer Compounds in Spinach
    Researchers have identified at least 13 different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as antioxidants and as anti-cancer agents. (Many of these substances fall into a technical category of flavonoids known as methylenedioxyflavonol glucuronides.) The anticancer properties of these spinach flavonoids have been sufficiently impressive to prompt researchers to create specialized spinach extracts that could be used in controlled studies. These spinach extracts have been shown to slow down cell division in stomach cancer cells (gastric adenocarcinomas), and in studies on mice, to reduce skin cancers (skin papillomas). A study on adult women living in New England in the late 1980s also showed intake of spinach to be inversely related to incidence of breast cancer.

Spinach Carotenoid Combats Prostate Cancer
    A carotenoid found in spinach and other green leafy vegetables fights human prostate cancer two different ways, according to research published in the September 2004 issue of the Journal of Nutrition. The carotenoid, called neoxanthin, not only induces prostate cancer cells to self-destruct, but is converted in the intestines into additional compounds, called neochromes, which put prostate cancer cells into a state of stasis, thus preventing their replication. (December 13, 2004)

We all know that Popeye made himself super strong by eating spinach, but you may be surprised to learn that he may also have been protecting himself against osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer, arthritis, and other diseases at the same time.
    Helping You Bone Up

The vitamin K provided by spinach - almost 200% of the Daily Value in one cup of fresh spinach leaves and over 1000% of the Daily Value in one cup of boiled spinach (which contains about 6 times as much spinach) - is important for maintaining bone health. Vitamin K1 activates osteocalcin, the major non-collagen protein in bone. Osteocalcin anchors calcium molecules inside of the bone. Therefore, without enough vitamin K1, osteocalcin levels are inadequate, and bone mineralization is impaired.
    Cardiovascular Protection from Spinach

For atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease, few foods compare to spinach in their number of helpful nutrients. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin A, the latter notably through its concentration of beta-carotene. These two nutrients are important antioxidants that work to reduce the amounts of free radicals in the body; vitamin C works as a water-soluble antioxidant and beta-carotene as a fat-soluble one. This water-and-fat-soluble antioxidant team helps to prevent cholesterol from becoming oxidized. Oxidized cholesterol is able to stick to and build up in blood vessel walls, where it can cause blocked arteries, heart attack or stroke. Getting plenty of vitamin C and beta-carotene can help prevent these complications, and a cup of boiled spinach can provide you with 294.8% of the daily value for vitamin A along with 29.4% of the daily value for vitamin C. Spinach is also an excellent source of folate. Folate is needed by the body to help convert a potentially dangerous chemical called homocysteine that can lead to heart attack or stroke if levels get too high, into other benign molecules. In addition, spinach is a very good source of magnesium, a mineral that can help to lower high blood pressure and protect against heart disease as well. A cup of boiled spinach contains 65.6% of the daily value for folate and 39.1% of the daily value for magnesium.

In addition to its hefty supply of cardioprotective vitamins and minerals, a study published in the August 2003 issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry has revealed that spinach Rubisco contains four peptides (protein components) that inhibit angiotensin I-converting enzyme—the same enzyme blocked by ACE inhibitor drugs, which are used to lower blood pressure. When given to rats bred to be hypertensive, spinach produced a blood pressure lowering effect within two to four hours. How much spinach did the rats have to eat to get this beneficial effect? Just 20 to 30 mg of these powerful spinach peptides for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of their body weight. In human terms, what this suggests is that an entrée-sized spinach salad for lunch or a serving of steamed spinach as part of the evening meal may have a salutary effect on blood pressure two to four hours later.(October 1, 2003)
    Colon Cancer Prevention

Spinach can also help prevent colon cancer. The vitamin C and beta-carotene in spinach help to protect the colon cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. And the folate in spinach helps to prevent DNA damage and mutations in colon cells, even when they are exposed to cancer-causing chemicals. Studies show that people who eat foods high in vitamin C, beta-carotene, and/or folate are at a much lower risk of getting colon cancer than those who don't.
    Anti-Inflammatory Nutrients

The nutrients in spinach can also help with conditions in which inflammation plays a role. For example, asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis are all conditions that involve inflammation. Since beta-carotene and vitamin C have anti-inflammatory properties, they can be helpful for reducing symptoms in some patients. In addition, the magnesium and riboflavin in spinach, two nutrients of which it is an excellent source, may help to reduce the frequency of migraine attacks in people who suffer from them.
    A Smarter Brain with Spinach
    In animal studies, researchers have found that spinach may help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related related declines in brain function. Researchers found that feeding aging rats spinach-rich diets significantly improved both their learning capacity and motor skills.

Better Eyesight from Spinach

Lutein, a carotenoid protective against eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and cataract, is found in green vegetables, especially spinach, as well as kale and broccoli. But egg yolks, although they contain significantly less lutein than spinach, are a much more bioavailable source whose consumption increases lutein concentrations in the blood many-fold higher than spinach,shows a human study published in the August 2004 issue of the Journal of Nutrition.

Although the mechanism by which egg yolk increases lutein bioavailability is not yet known, it is likely due to the fats (cholesterol and choline) found in egg yolk. Lutein, like other carotenoids, is fat-soluble, so cannot be absorbed unless fat is also present. To maximally boost your lutein absorption, we suggest enjoying your spinach, whether steamed, sautéed or fresh in spinach salad, with a little olive oil and a topping of chopped hard-boiled egg. For a flavorful, quick and easy recipe featuring eggs and spinach, try our Poached Eggs over Spinach and Mushrooms.(October 10, 2004)
    Iron for Energy

Cooked spinach is an excellent source of iron. Although Popeye ate spinach to boost his strength, it's more important for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency. Boosting iron stores with spinach is a good idea, especially because, in comparison to red meat, a well known source of iron, spinach provides iron for a lot less calories and is totally fat-free. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is also part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. And, if you're pregnant or lactating, your needs for iron increase. Growing children and adolescents also have increased needs for iron. In one cup of boiled spinach, you'll be provided with 35.7% of the daily value for iron.

So while spinach probably won’t make you super strong the minute you eat it, it may be able to help you avoid some very serious health conditions. It seems like Popeye was pretty smart after all.
    ..."

Yeah, I cut up some and mix with romaine lettuce for my salads.

5. NormanNormal

NormanNormal Where it all ends I can't fathom, my friends...

lest we forget

[​IMG]

6. gammalex

gammalex Get Stronger or Go Home™

I wonder how much he can crunk with those forearms LOL

7. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

underated by whom?
    me loves me spinachK!

8. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I eat it every night, or green beans - whichever is on sale

9. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I love the shit

10. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

i eat either green beans, brussel sprouts, brocolli, or cauliflower. I might start eating spinach.

11. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

its not underrated, to be underrated, something needs to be better than it gets credit for and taste wise its not. i never knew it had all that good shit for you in it (or so much of it) and i dont get nearly enough K per day so im gonna man up and choke some down every day now.:o

12. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

i swear by chopped spinach with chicken. and franks red hot buffalo sauce all over.

hardly any calories, so you can eat enough to fill the hole.

13. PNHWrestler

PNHWrestler A broken wrist can severely harm one's sex life!

mmm my grandma makes soup w/spinach and eggs.. a little light sour cream and its gold.

For the ruskiys here: "zeleniy borsch"

14. princess0fdiabl0

princess0fdiabl0 The Hairy Animal

spinach in shake = yes?

15. cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime

:yum:

16. PNHWrestler

PNHWrestler A broken wrist can severely harm one's sex life!

eww.

17. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

how do you make spinach and chicken?

18. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

spinach is gross

broccoli > spinach

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i love a baby spinach salad

20. Louis M

Louis M New Member

i love this:

We all know that Popeye made himself super strong by eating spinach, but you may be surprised to learn that he may also have been protecting himself against osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer, arthritis, and other diseases at the same time.

21. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

broc/cauli > *

22. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I have a baby spinach salad with pretty much every meal.

23. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

spinach turns my shit a disgusting green color, i really disslike it :(

24. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

25. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Does putting vinegar in your spinach ruin the low-fat quality of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.