Why is my wireless so F'in slow?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Knightmare69, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

Ok, so this is the set-up at my place. The house has Road Runner DSL, it's located in my cuz's room at the end of the hall where we also have a airport base and extreme in her room to send wireless signal. My aunt's office is in between my cuz's room and mine and my aunt's G5 seems to get wireless signal pretty well and at a fast rate.

Here's where I think the problem may be, My aunt has a bookshelf made of really dense wood against the wall opposite of my room, we have a airport express in her office under that bookshelf since it also houses her comp. But I get really shitty signal on my 12" G4 PowerPC and my 15" G4 power PC gets better signal but isn't much faster.

The 15" gets a steady full signal but the speed is still incredibly slow compared to a land line connection. The 12" is the worst, I can show 4 out of 5 bars of signal but it still runs even slower than the 15".

I use the 12" for my main internet usage and the 15" is more for my entertainment collection, music, vids etc.

What can I do to increase the signal? Should I get another airport express in my room or is there something I can fiddle with in the comps to make them run more efficiently regarding signal? Please Help!

2. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

19 views in Mac Shack and no info?

3. skelm

skelm New Member

From what I can gather from that your computer has good signal strenth but your lappys don't? I assume you are trying to use the lappys in your room?

Is this consistant throughout the house or is it just in your room that you have this problem?

More info please :)

4. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

The comp in my aunts office has decent speed, but my lappy's in my room although show ok signal strength, are slow and only in my room so I'm sure it has to do with the wood shelf in my aunt's office on the wall opposite of my room.

5. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

digg had a post about this recently

heres a link to the story:
    http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/hardware/optimizing_airport_connectivity

3 things I did to get the most out of my extreme & Express

1.) Everyones Network in my nieghborhood was on the same channel (11) moved over to channel 3 (better Signal/connection)

2.) Open Airport Admin Utility and do this to all the base stations at your house. Turn On Interference Robustness on EVERYTHING. Base stations + Computers as well as setting mulitcast rate to 11 & Setting trasmittter power to 100%

3 if all (AND I MEAN ALL)the computers you have at home have Airport Extreme cards, move the "mode " over to "802.11 G Only" it will increase preformance

4.) go to this link http://www.apple.com/support/airport/
    and find the airport management tools
    these programs work with Power PC macs only but they allow you to monitor the settings of the airport stations throughtout the house allowing you to tweek the settings and seeing if you get better preformance. with the Airport Client Monitor, my trasmit rate is at 54mbs

my downloads were maxing out at 300Kbs before all this, now its like flash SUPER FAST 1MB on certain sites

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006