Why is my iBook G4 so slow with loading internet pages?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZZex, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I got the iBook G4. Whenever I view OT or whatever (with heavy pictures), my computer gets super slow. The screen does the spinny rainbow ball for like 5 minutes to load one page. The internet stream is good. Could it be my weak 768 RAM or my OS version 10.3.9 or my 1.2Ghz processor?

(Issue occurs with all browser: Safari, Firefox, IE).

And side question, how do I upgrade my OS without a DVDrom?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Maybe a borked/nonsense-laden OS install....but definitely RAM.
    Get more :) A G4 is plenty quick for fast intarweb browsing.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

get more ram and try viewing pages in Opera.
    Opera handles internet pages without bogging down as much compared to Camino/Firefox/Safari...

and you can update your os either through another mac, or external dvd drive.

4. ///M

///M New Member

my mac mini with a 1.42ghz g4, 512mb of ram and 10.4.10 runs just fine all the time, only really slows down when you have a lot of shit open

5. migwuk

migwuk New Member

to upgrade your os use an external hard drive. create two partitions. restore the os dvd to one partition using disk utility. use the other partition to backup your hard drive. change your dns servers to something other than your isp's to speed up web browsing. 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are the ones I use. I have the same iBook setup.

6. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

One of my side books I travel with is a G3 12" iBook 700 mhz with 384mb ram. It loads this site as well as most all the others I go to pretty much instantly. RAM is for processing apps, not loading web pages. It does have an effect, but not like you think.

Your book should load the pages with no problem. I'd run Onyx on it and see if it cleans it up for you.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007