Why is my CPU running so hot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Smelly-Kitten, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

at idle w/ the rather loud axillary 120mm case fan blowing in it's at 48 degrees steady sometimes 47. W/out the loud 120mm case fan it sits at 51 constant. It's 22.5C in this room so at idle i should be around 43C right? Whats worse is when i run highly graphics intensive games and w/out the fan it jumps up to 69 and flickers 70, w/ the extra fan it stays at around 54-55 since the fan is blowing right in on the 8600GTS.

These are still pretty high though right? Can you recommend a better fan (using APEVIA CF12S 120mm Case Fan)? Is it better to have the case fan blow out instead of in? The Cooler master has 80mm blowing in on bottom front and a 120mm exhausting stock.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

What CPU? What heatsink are you using?

3. Smelly-Kitten

sorry bout that, lol

using the heatsink + fan supplied w/ the AMD

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Stock heatsinks are usually crap. They barely meet the minimum requirements, which of course is all they have to do.

On the other hand, if you're not overheating and shutting down, then you're fine.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

what are you measuring the temp with? Any of the software that asus includes (asus probe) sucks balls and I've seen it be 10-12c out of wack. Try using CoreTemp. On newer cpu's, they have a diode build in that give a temp reading and that's what coretemp reads from.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

6. Smelly-Kitten

Im using Nvidia's nTune
    [​IMG]

I think it's loud cuz i couldn't put it square w/ the case's ventilation holes so it's causing sucking resistance. The indented handle on the case panel made there not enough room for me to bolt it on square.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  7. Smelly-Kitten

im getting conflicting readings now obviously. Core temp .95 flickers between 32/36 and 33/37

[​IMG]

8. Smelly-Kitten

i knew it had to be lower w/ a damn 63.85cfm fan, lol. Maybe ill get a 35cfm fan now

9. Smelly-Kitten

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I think you're measuring 2 different things, look at what ntune is measuring, it says GPU1, not CPU. GPU is your video card, not CPU.

11. deusexaethera

You don't need a quieter fan, you need rubber mounts for the fan you have. You need the kind that you pull through the side of the case, then thread into the mounting holes on the fan, then pull tight to snap into place. The fan will never make noise again.

They come free with SilenX fans, if you're dead-set on replacing the fan itself too.

- - -

Anyway, DAN513 is right. That graph you've got pulled up is the video card processor temperature, not the CPU temperature.

12. Smelly-Kitten

OIC, what temp range should i be at for the graphics card?
    This is good news tho, cuz coretemp shows me while running games to be at highest 47/52 but normally at 46/50

Alos, do you know where i could get these rubber mounts?

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

home depot would have them, it's just a small rubber washer that will fit between the fan and the case.

14. Smelly-Kitten

i unbolted the fan from the case and it looks like the fan by iself isn't very loud at all really, it seems to be the restriction of air suction because it's not square w/ the ventilation holes. It's not really causing any vibration noise, although usuing washers to elivate it from flush w/ the panel would make it quiter. But wouldn't this make the fan suck air that's already in the case, i.e. warm air?

15. Smelly-Kitten

if i have the fan blowing out will that really help anything? Cuz it blowing out doesn't make much noise. But then i'll only have the 80mm fan in front blowing in air. But the whole face is perforated w/ ventilation holes - so that might help :dunno:

EDIT: Now w/ the fan blowing out (considerably less noisy) the graphics card still gets up to 71 under load while w/ the fan blowing in right on it it gets 54-55 or so. Does this really matter since im not overclocking it. Is 71/72C fine? Also the CPU temps dont seem to change from having the fan blow in compared to out.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  16. deusexaethera

What I'm talking about isn't a grommet; it's actually a rubber fastener that snaps into the mounting holes on the case and on the fan. Works like a charm.

I'd rather have the fans blowing in instead of out, because that way you know they're pulling in cool air from outside the case.

Elevating the fans off the surface of the case by a few mm won't make a huge difference in the amount of hot air that gets recirculated; mostly, it reduces the pressure on the leading edge of each fan blade, which is where the majority of the noise comes from anyway. (You'll notice, if you start getting into silent PC building, that the main difference between cheap, loud fans and good, quiet fans is the shape of the blades.) Short answer: yes, use washers.

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how much thermal compund did you use?
    lots is not good

18. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

ntune measures GPU temp. a GPU runs hotter than a CPU